Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Site Admin

Default Cops at Ladd Circle

Friend reported cops are staking out Ladd Circle and busting cyclists who don't stop at the stop signs. Seriously? Is there a problem here?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Site Admin

If you consider cars and bicycles not stopping at stop signs a problem, then yes.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Site Admin

Yep. Classic location for a classic operation. Thanks for the heads up, though.

The real story is why this isn't a proper traffic circle with yield entries? The rest of the world seems to manage just fine.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthand View Post
Friend reported cops are staking out Ladd Circle and busting cyclists who don't stop at the stop signs. Seriously? Is there a problem here?
Quite frankly, yes. I ride through Ladd's every day, and it's really annoying when users entering the circle fail to yield to those already in it (both cars and bikes). I'll not argue the whole stop vs. yield sign, since I often don't come to a full stop myself, but failure to yield is quite aggravating, and it needs to stop. I exit off just after a big feed in, and about a third of the time, someone (usually on a bike, but also motor vehicles) blows through. I have to hit the brakes and maneuver around to avoid a collision, and the logic of this befuddles me. If you have a stop sign and I don't, why am I yielding to you?

This morning, post-enforcement, compliance seemed much better. Let's see how long civility lasts.

OK, rant over.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedoctor View Post
If you have a stop sign and I don't, why am I yielding to you?
because you allowed it...

I don't allow it, I run into them...

stop enabling bad vehicle operators... if it's not going to kill you then sometimes you have to take one for the team in order to draw attention to the problem... if everybody also slams on their brakes to avoid the scofflaws then the scofflaws have no reason to stop their bad behavior... never give up your right-of-way if it won't kill you...
Old 08-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
because you allowed it...

I don't allow it, I run into them...

stop enabling bad vehicle operators... if it's not going to kill you then sometimes you have to take one for the team in order to draw attention to the problem... if everybody also slams on their brakes to avoid the scofflaws then the scofflaws have no reason to stop their bad behavior... never give up your right-of-way if it won't kill you...
Spiffy, this kind of self-righteous attitude is what causes a lot of problems on our roads. I can't disagree with you more.

Scott
Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Site Admin

I agree with Spiffy's sentiment and do what I can to discourage jerkism of all forms, but I would never do anything to cause a collision. Instead, I usually hurl a sarcastic remark, like "Thanks for stopping!" As they cut me off. Peer pressure sometimes works.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Site Admin

I had the pleasure of going through this circle on the way to Sunday Parkways. I made sure to stop at the stop sign because of its reputation.