Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Site Admin

Default Just bought a 1974 schwinn le tour

I am wondering if it is possible to convert the 27" rims to 700cc rims. It seems like all I would have to do is slightly adjust the brakes but I am not sure of course.

Wiffle
Old 08-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Site Admin

I don't know the specs, which I can see is what you're asking for, but from reading threads covering this subject over at bikeforums/classic and vintage, I know this is a fairly common conversion due to the increased tire options available with 700c. Maybe you know someone who would let you slip their 700c wheel on your bike so you could easily see what you need to do.

Last edited by wsbob; 08-16-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiffle View Post
I am wondering if it is possible to convert the 27" rims to 700cc rims.
The brake pads will need to be mounted about 4mm lower (closer to the hub) or you'll risk rubbing the tires with the pads, which can lead to tire failure. On contemporary Schwinn Electroforge frames (Continental, Varsity, etc.) the brake caliper arms were usually long enough to permit that extra reach, but you'll have to check on your Le Tour.

If your calipers won't allow that adjustment, you'd probably need new calipers, although it's possible there is some sort of offset hanger bolt or offset pads.

You will slightly lower your gearing (a few gear-inches per cog, probably not significant to you) with 700s. You will get more selection in tires, but there are still many choices in 27".
Old 08-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The brake pads will need to be mounted about 4mm lower (closer to the hub) or you'll risk rubbing the tires with the pads, which can lead to tire failure. On contemporary Schwinn Electroforge frames (Continental, Varsity, etc.) the brake caliper arms were usually long enough to permit that extra reach, but you'll have to check on your Le Tour.

If your calipers won't allow that adjustment, you'd probably need new calipers, although it's possible there is some sort of offset hanger bolt or offset pads.

You will slightly lower your gearing (a few gear-inches per cog, probably not significant to you) with 700s. You will get more selection in tires, but there are still many choices in 27".
Thanks, I'll have to check it out it does appear as if I can so that would be cool, I will check out my options with both 700cc and with 27" rims
Old 08-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Site Admin

You need to go get friendly with the CCC, Bike Farm or City Bikes. They'll get you sorted out.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneshaker View Post
You need to go get friendly with the CCC, Bike Farm or City Bikes. They'll get you sorted out.
I will most definitely check them out thanks!

Wiffle
Old 08-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
I am wondering if it is possible to convert the 27" rims to 700cc rims. It seems like all I would have to do is slightly adjust the brakes but I am not sure of course.

Wiffle
The answer is: maybe. You need to drop the brake pads 4mm or so to get them to match up with 700C rims. I think you can do this with the stock centerpull caliper on the front, but the rear may run out of adjustment. I agree that CityBikes would be able to sort it out.

If the stock brake won't reach, the slot can be filed (carefully!) for more adjustment, or substituting a long-reach Tektro caliper would certainly work.

FWIW: I spent a few years as a Schwinn mechanic, and my first 10-speed was a later Le Tour III. The Le Tour bikes were better-quality but basic bike for their time. Have fun with it.

Guru to the hot dog vendor:
"Make me one with everything."
Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
The answer is: maybe. You need to drop the brake pads 4mm or so to get them to match up with 700C rims. I think you can do this with the stock centerpull caliper on the front, but the rear may run out of adjustment. I agree that CityBikes would be able to sort it out.

If the stock brake won't reach, the slot can be filed (carefully!) for more adjustment, or substituting a long-reach Tektro caliper would certainly work.

FWIW: I spent a few years as a Schwinn mechanic, and my first 10-speed was a later Le Tour III. The Le Tour bikes were better-quality but basic bike for their time. Have fun with it.
It seems like a solid bike I think I am going to stick with the 27 inch rims tho maybe purchase some better rims or something that don't weigh 1 million pounds lol. Seems like a well build bike

Wiffle
Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
It seems like a solid bike I think I am going to stick with the 27 inch rims tho maybe purchase some better rims or something that don't weigh 1 million pounds lol. Seems like a well build bike

Wiffle
Talk to Citybikes. They probably have 27-inch wheels with aluminum rims that you can swap out easily. Just changing the rims tends to be a more expensive job due to the time and skill needed to rebuild a wheel.

Yep, it's a good bike. It'll take you anywhere you want- don't let people tell you "you need a new bike".

Guru to the hot dog vendor:
"Make me one with everything."
Old 08-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
Talk to Citybikes. They probably have 27-inch wheels with aluminum rims that you can swap out easily. Just changing the rims tends to be a more expensive job due to the time and skill needed to rebuild a wheel.

Yep, it's a good bike. It'll take you anywhere you want- don't let people tell you "you need a new bike".
Awesome! I always think I need a new bike I have 3 now and still have the itch lol for more.

Wiffle