Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Site Admin

Default Wife was pushed off of her bike on spring water east of Powell butte. around 8:30 PM

My wife was pushed off of her bike on spring water east of Powell butte. around 8:30 PM 8/6/12. Thought the community should know. She was not robbed. She got back on her bike and rode off. Two white males in t-shirts and jeans. She is fairly night blind and didn't get a good look.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Site Admin

That's awful. I hope she is not physically harmed? I trust you reported it to police.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Site Admin

She has a bit of road rash ( not a lot thankfully). We did call the police. (I wanted to take a ride out there myself, she wouldn't let me go) We are waiting for the police to get here to take her statement. She isn't that shaken up over it. I think I am more upset about it than she is.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Site Admin

I would sure be upset if it was my sweetie! Like you, my thoughts would head toward going there myself. She's smart to keep you home, though. Best not to do anything foolish in the heat of the moment. Best wishes to her (and you).

BTW, in case she needs it, how to treat road rash: http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1599
Old 08-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Unhappy Sorry to hear about that.

I'm glad that she's (mostly) Ok. Hopefully the guys who did this will meet up with the law before they have a chance to hurt anybody else.

Give her my best!
K'Tesh
Old 08-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Site Admin

I had a similar experience in the same area. I wrote to Jonathan and he shared this link... so I thought I would add what happened to me.

I ended up biking home the other night from Troutdale to Milwaukie. Here in Portland I have found both a job and house with almost no public transit access. The wife had the car, there was some event one of the kids had to go to and I wasnt getting home till late. So I figured I would just bike home. I could write about how it feels to bike 20 miles on a borrowed mountain bike when you are seriously out of shape, but that isn't what I am writing about. I am writing about an odd series of events that occoured along the trail.

Three different times on the way home I had people who were hanging out (drinking and smoking mostly) tell me to slow down- now given the fact that I havent been on a bike in months, am way out of shape on a mountain bike that is to small for me I cant think I was going more than 13-15 MPH with lights and all. The last time there were a bunch of people at least one whiskey bottle and they were all over the path standing chatting. Given I was alone, outnumbered by people who were already yelling before I got there (I heard them blocks away) I decided to proceed with all due haste through the party. They were fairly pissed (both in general and at me) but I have to wonder what they were thinking- no one is going to want to slow down for a bunch of drunk people on an unlit pathway at night. I started wondering if something else was going on. Is saying "slow down" a way to advertize drugs? Or do they really think its ok to just hang out on a dark path dressed in black and drinking and everyone should stop so that they wont hit them? I have to say I have lived in Portland a long time, been down plenty of pretty sketchy roads and this was the first time I was concerned about getting mugged.

After reading the OP's wife's story I have to wonder if this is a defacto attempt by the local misguided youth to take over the pathway after dark- The fact that she wasnt mugged seems to suggest another motive.