Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Site Admin

Default St. John's Bridge Experience!

I decided to test out the new sharrows on the St. John's Bridge and took the lane to see what would happen. The results...nothing less than spectacular! All cars switched to the left lane and gave a wide birth, no one rolled down their window to cuss or throw a slurpee at me, no one honked their horn and I didn't even get the finger once. All-in-all a great experience. If you ride your bike a lot and are not skittish in traffic, give it a try, but if you are a novice and don't like the sound of an 18 wheeler coming up behind you, you can still and should use the sidewalk.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Site Admin

I've been doubtful that the sharrow pavement markings would make much difference, but if they do, consistently...I think that's great, and I'm glad to hear so. If you can, give us more details...time of day, traffic volume, and also...notes for any additional days you you ride bridge deck.

Word is that in addition to the pavement markings, there's also signs informing of the sharrow arrangement. It would be interesting to know which of the two convey the message about sharrow existence more strongly to road users.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Site Admin

I'm curious if you had a different experience before the sharrows were installed. I have ridden the bridge a few times in the past several years and never had any issues taking the lane, but it was typically on lower traffic weekend days.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Site Admin

When did they add sharrows?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
When did they add sharrows?
Sharrows added just last week or so. Maus did a story or two on them for the main page. Lots of comments about them.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Site Admin

…but would using the sidewalk take a novice/skittish rider somewhere they want to go? The NW side is anything but inviting.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Site Admin

If I rode the bridge once in a blue moon, I'd stick my neck out & take the lane. Since I commute almost every day across the bridge I'll stick to the sidewalk (in the interest of my own longevity)…markings or not.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Site Admin

I rode the sidewalk southbound before the sharrows with my recumbent trike and just slowed/stopped for peds. It is wide enough for wheelchairs which is 3' minimum. The drop off the curb is a significant distance, though. A steady proceeding is required.

Would I take the lane -with- sharrows? I suppose it depends in the time of day.