Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Site Admin

Default Riding Cornelius Pass from Skyline to Hwy 30

back in the day (early 90's), I rode it fairly often. Then the road was re-done, traffic picked up, and I haven't been back since. Have any of you ridden it? Thoughts on the traffic density? Are there shoulders?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Site Admin

Given a choice between Cornelius Pass and Germantown... I'd take corn pass. Traffic will hound you but they really can't do anything about it. Still has a few hairpins and limited spots to pull over to let traffic pass. I'd rather be flying down the hill than climbing it.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Site Admin

I've ridden most of the climbs up from Hwy 30 over the years; Cornelius Pass is the least steep. Just wondering if I care to

1) venture on it again and
2) take friends, who maybe won't want to kill me once they've survived...

The last time I rode Cornelius Pass down from Skyline to West Union, a big truck sat right behind me and laid on the horn. I had nowhere to go.

It is the major truck route over the hills.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Site Admin

It's been years since I've ridden Cornelius Pass to Hwy 30. It's the fast way down. That's about the only positive thing I can say about the road in terms of its suitability for riding. Motor vehicle traffic on the road is mad-crazy, and there's a lot of it because it's a major route, in fact, a truck route, I think. I seem to recall it has some marginal shoulders. I would consider taking only the toughest most road savvy riders down it. The road isn't even very scenic.

Germantown Rd would be my preference. A 20-25mph rd, it's a beautiful ride, though the hairpin turns and generally narrow road, minimal if any shoulders pose some hazard to people biking, what with nitwit people driving that seem to feel obliged to try defy the natural slowing of the roads curves, disregarding basic caution to try gain some time by passing. Germantown has a few places to pull off to let the anxious drivers move on. That's what I've done in past. Years back at least, traffic was light. The tight turns and almost no straightaways, I think make it a road people driving don't want to fuss with.

I've climbed both roads when fit. Germantown is my preference for climbing. Again, though they don't really want to go slow, the road more or less forces motor vehicle traffic to go slow or reduce their speed upon coming up behind a bike or bikes. You might have to pull off for 15-20 seconds to let them pass, but with a climb like this, that's not such a bad thing.

Last edited by wsbob; 04-03-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Site Admin

I guess my biggest concern on Germantown is reaction time. Seems I have the most issues with BMW's and Audi's when it comes to impatient drivers, and they see Germantown as a challenge. When they see my low slung wide trike as they just pulled maximum G's in the hairpin, someone is going over the edge. And for my safety, I ride to the middle on a right turning curve just to remain visible further back rather than hug the fogline. Although WSBOB is right, Cornelius Pass is the primary commerce route, at least it doesn't have as many blind corners.

Anyone have an opinion on Newberry Rd or McNamee as an alternative to the two?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
I guess my biggest concern on Germantown is reaction time. Seems I have the most issues with BMW's and Audi's when it comes to impatient drivers, and they see Germantown as a challenge. When they see my low slung wide trike as they just pulled maximum G's in the hairpin, someone is going over the edge. And for my safety, I ride to the middle on a right turning curve just to remain visible further back rather than hug the fogline. Although WSBOB is right, Cornelius Pass is the primary commerce route, at least it doesn't have as many blind corners.

Anyone have an opinion on Newberry Rd or McNamee as an alternative to the two?
It's true that performance drivers may be among the hazards a person riding Germantown might encounter.

I thought about mentioning earlier, Newberry Rd or McNamee, but in all the times I've ridden Skyline, I never dropped down on either of them. From comments in past from other people, I seem to recall reading that McNamee is steep. Also, that it may not be paved, at least not all the way, so it may not work well for road bike tires. Still, their being lesser used roads may make for a nicer route.

Checking the Washington County Bike Map, Newberry looks to be very steep.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Site Admin

Newberry; hwy 30 to Skyline - 768 feet elevation gain in 2.1 miles... MapMyRide cat 3. Short enough to walk if needed. Definitely will make that a destination in the near future.

Looks like climbing off hwy 30 is the worst part... 1/2 mile with up to a 12% grade but the rest is 6% or less on either route. I've done worse in Beaverton.

Last edited by Simple Nature; 04-04-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Site Admin

Google Earth has a streetview of Newberry and McNamee. Seems like a real nice 10 mile loop with Sauvie Island as a side tour. I saw a lot of turnouts on Newberry. Both are nicely paved.

WSBOB, let me know when you want to do this ride

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/80770543

Thanks for posting the question, Lynnef. Hadn't really thought through one of these excursions until now. Looks quite reasonable for a summer event.

Last edited by Simple Nature; 04-04-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Site Admin

I've ridden both ways on Newberry and McNamee. Newberry is whacking steep. I remember getting excited about halfway up, because the grade dropped to less than 10%.

McNamee is very steep at the very bottom. Low traffic. I tried to remember is as easier than Newberry, but it sure didn't seem that way at the end of a very long, hot ride last summer

Rocky Point is 3+ miles, fairly constant 6% grade.

Seems like NW Cornelius Pass is just off the table. Fair enough.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
Google Earth has a streetview of Newberry and McNamee. Seems like a real nice 10 mile loop with Sauvie Island as a side tour. I saw a lot of turnouts on Newberry. Both are nicely paved.

WSBOB, let me know when you want to do this ride

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/80770543

Thanks for posting the question, Lynnef. Hadn't really thought through one of these excursions until now. Looks quite reasonable for a summer event.
Uh...yeah. I'm not in especially great shape, which, to enjoy riding Mcnamee and particularly Newberry, it sounds as though one should be. I thought from looking at the map that Newberry looked steep, but the '...whacking steep...' descriptive reference set me to withering.

On the map, further out, I notice NW Johnson and NW Rocky Point Road. They're probably steep too. For a little break, I've got off and walked before. No big deal, especially on quiet roads.