Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Site Admin

the SW 114th/alley route does have its drawbacks - poorly marked, very steep speedbumps. You've been warned.

Heading south on Lombard from just S of Broadway to S of Farmington is, granted, not much fun. Especially the part getting back onto SW Lombard, and the first block S of Farmington. As much as possible I take the lane as there is really not enough width to share.

Northbound is ok.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Site Admin

SW Walker Rd is a county road; best to address your concerns there.

When I return from Council Crest, I drop through the neighborhood, turn LEFT onto Walker at 107th and immediately RIGHT onto 106th and immediately RIGHT onto the alley (paved).

Follow the alley, turn RIGHT onto SW 108th and immediately LEFT onto Polsky (watch for vehicles entering from Walker...).

Much safer and quieter. No sitting out on SW Walker waiting to make a left at the blind curve.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Site Admin

my husband's justification for the left off Walker, then R on 106th, R on Sunnyhill (yeah, that's it) is that there is enough time to get across Walker before being t-boned by a LeMans wannabe heading west through the blind curve, and then it is a right off SW Walker, removing the standing out in the middle of the lane waiting to turn left onto SW 108th.

The return trip has a good line of sight to the east and not too bad to the west, and, again, it is a right turn onto SW 107th, PLUS that is the less steep approach to 107th, plus you aren't starting up it from a full stop.

The pavement is within the last couple years. Used to be packed gravel.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Site Admin

SW Walker Rd between SW 106th and Hwy 217 is hazardous to all modes of travel. If there is an accident on SW Walker, you can guess where it is. The road is narrow, there is an amazing blind curve, and vehicles moving at speeds well in excess of what is safe for everyone.

My husband recommended it, but I'm not doing it because he said so. I'm doing it because it is better than standing out in the middle of SW Walker Rd, signaling to turn left and waiting to be rear ended.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Site Admin

"A girl with her own head (never had a question you weren't.). Most likely part of the reason he got together with you. Don't you think it gives him a bit of peace of mind knowing that his SO is going by his recommendation of a safer route? That's what I had figured."

Given that I'll ride on freeway shoulders, if that's what it takes to get there, and will ride THROUGH THE NIGHT from Coburg to Wilsonville, I'm not entirely sure I'm helping in the peace of mind department.

http://lynnerides.blogspot.com/2011/04/victorious.html
Old 03-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Site Admin

Giving this thread a little revival because on the 1st page, I've just posted some pics of the parking for bikes.