Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosen View Post
So if I'm looking at Google Maps correctly, after leaving Carlton I'll go up the mountain like I normally do and then turn left at that reservoir that is after the summit, correct? I'll miss the camping area and the gravel area because I'll be on the other side of the river. After rejoining Nestucca River Road I'll just proceed to Beaver like I normally would? This is great, another route to the beach.

DR
The non-gravel route I've take is the third road past the reservoir on Google Maps. It's a sharp cutback uphill to the left, Identified on Google Maps as NW Bald Mountain Access Rd., but unmarked at the intersection. If I remember correctly the first road after the reservoir is gravel.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Site Admin

Default Bald Mt. Access Rd.

can't remember if there's a sign at the intersection, but I think it's the only paved road heading south in this vicinity. Nothing to confuse it with. It is indeed a long and hilly way around to avoid a couple miles of gravel...but i guess if you've got serious skinnys for tyres, that gravel may seem like an eternity...but in my experience, on 28c it's just fine.

This map may help a bit, especially with avoiding the Panther Creek Rd., which is shown misleadingly as the main thoroughfare on many maps.

see Route 3, map 2 ---
http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...301633&c=36638

Also -- There's a reason it's not paved all the way through. The BLM, who owns the gravel section, wanted to pave it back about 10 years ago, but the folks who live along the road were adamently opposed - they were legitimately concerned about it becoming a more of the thoroughfare between the valley and the coast (more traffic). So the BLM responded by saying the road wasn't safe in current condition (which is kind of strange because they've got plenty of roads far worse, it would seem..?) , and closed a portion of the middle section. It was like this for several years, and to my mind they could of left it that way forever - great for bicycling. Finally they came to some sort of an agreement not to pave it, and that it was reasonably safe, & the barricades came down.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
can't remember if there's a sign at the intersection, but I think it's the only paved road heading south in this vicinity. Nothing to confuse it with.
Jeff, the first road after the reservoir is gravel. But the second and third roads after the reservoir are paved, at least where they intersect Nestucca River Road. The third road after the reservoir (2nd paved road to the left after the reservoir) is the one you want to take.

Lynne, that ride you took in the spring sounds like quite an adventure. That's a long day in the rain. Other readers would be well advised to click through the link and read your tale. Do you have windshield wipers on your shields?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Site Admin

thanks, RonC, didn't recall that from previous rides. I wonder where, and how far, these other paved roads go?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Rode the Nestucca River Rd. last weekend between Carlton and Beaver, on the way to Pacific City. Still a beautiful route, but not quite as nice as when the road was closed off in the middle to motor vehicles.
How many cars did you run into? When I've ridden it in the past, I encountered a grand total of 4 cars for the entire route. (that was west to east, I'd imagine there'd be more going from east to west, since the traffic is higher near Carlton when climbing up that side than if descending)
Old 02-17-2012, 07:10 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt P. View Post
How many cars did you run into?
There weren't many, maybe 10-15, so still a very quite route.