Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Site Admin

Smile The 2012 Daily Commute Thread.

[EDIT] K'Tesh here... I've been thinking that Schrauf's idea for the Daily Commute Thread should be restarted each year, so I'm going to start the new one starting now... However, in moving the two 2012 posts from the old thread, they jumped over the 2012 announcement post, so I've edited this into the oldest 2012 Daily Commute Thread post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauf View Post
This thread is a place where people can post their daily (or occasional) commute highlights and lowlights?
And now with Oldguyonabike's post...[/EDIT]

Greetings and a warning to riders who go as far south as Clackamas Town Center.
I have had 3 flats in the past 2 weeks that all have occurred somewhere between the last underpass at Monterey Road and Sunnybrook as best as I can tell. There was a huge glass cluster south of Monterey that I swept up last friday, but had another flat today with a staple.
I suspect someone's stapled the road.
So, if you are pedaling down this way, carry an extra tube for awhile until someone locates this IED.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 01-13-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguyonabike View Post
Clackamas Town Center ... huge glass cluster ...
So, if you are pedaling down this way, carry an extra tube for awhile until someone locates this IED.
I worked down in this neighborhood for about 3 years. Who ever is responsible for street sweeping in south Clackamas County seems to be intent on controlling bike traffic by not cleaning the outside 3 feet of the road - EVER.

My commute often went across the Carver Rd bridge over I-205 (hwy 212 / hwy 224 to Estacada). One winter within a week after gravel had to be put down for icy conditions a crash occurred. Piles of the same windshield glass were there the following winter. Most of the rest of the broken car pieces remained for weeks until they left piece by piece in an order that seemed to indicate scavenging.
I put in requests to have that and other areas cleaned, I put in complaints. No replies, no acknowledgement, no progress.

If a bunch of bike hating rednecks was running Clackamas County transpo dept and they wanted to discourage cycling this would be a good way to do it.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default Today's commute...

Today's commute had me riding to and from PSU twice today with the MAX doing much of the work... It was COLD this morning!!! I hope that everybody stays safe with the predicted snowfall coming.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Red face WOW!!!! That's some scary ice out there tonight!

Went to Mom's tonight for dinner. After dinner, she took her dog out for a walk, and nearly slipped on the sheet of black ice that is covering the entire city of Sherwood. Since I had my bike, she decided to drive me to the bus stop rather than make me ride to it (or home).

Catch the bus, ride to the Tigard Transit (Freezing) Center. Get there and check the schedule for the next 76 or 78 to Brrreaverrrrttttonnnn Transit Centerrrrrr. I've got a 45 minute wait. That's not going to work for me.

I rode home on the Fanno Creek Trail, without any problem until I hit the skating rink known as SW Hall. Damn that was slick. I hopped off after realizing that I'd never be able to mount the bike and get the thing moving before having the wheels slide out from under me. Walked across Hall, and spotted a bus heading for Beaverton... Hauled Butt to try to catch it almost made it to SW Greenway before it roared past me (damn Merlo Garage bound bus).

Headed back to the trail, safely managed to get to Denny, but when I got to Lombard... DAMN!!!!!! I managed to stay upright, but I've never been that scared from ice before.

I hopped up on the sidewalk and stayed there for the remainder of the ride, but I plan on staying close to home until temps warm up again.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 01-15-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Site Admin

Default Flat again!!!

Fourth flat in 3 weeks. Stapled again! Same general area south of clackamas town center. Ice and snow I can get through if my tires are inflated.
I'm really getting sick of this. I have scanned the 205 path thoroughly and cannot find the spot causing these.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Question Ride w/slime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguyonabike View Post
Fourth flat in 3 weeks. Stapled again! Same general area south of clackamas town center. Ice and snow I can get through if my tires are inflated.
I'm really getting sick of this. I have scanned the 205 path thoroughly and cannot find the spot causing these.
Slimed tires?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Site Admin

I use kevlar tires and check them for wear and debris every Saturday. Inflation kept up. I can usually go a year without a flat. There's some badness on my route (intentional or just bad luck is anyone's guess). I actually walked the stretch from Sunnybrook north to the overpass during lunch and didn't find anything. I'm suspecting construction debris on Sunnybrook somewhere and will check that out tomorrow. Not even slime can stop staples and tacks.
Thanks. I'm just venting
Old 01-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Site Admin

Had a lovely coarse textured headwind this am.
Glad I wore safety glasses. . .
Old 01-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Site Admin

Default Protect Your Eyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edki View Post
Had a lovely coarse textured headwind this am.
Glad I wore safety glasses. . .
Got these oddball safety glasses on the recommendation of IceBike

They are cheap(about $5-6), let in ventilation (which can be critical in our cooler wet NW winters), the lenses are cheap and the angle of the lens reduces headlight glare a bit.
You'll need ski-type anti fog stuff for any safety glasses/goggles but it's easy to get.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Fun ride home tonight...

I study at local restaurants because I don't have the possible distraction of my computer, tv, or chores. I typically stay until they close, and tonight was no exception.

It was fun being the only bike tire tracks in the snow as it was falling. I was dressed for the weather, and it was sticking fast, but the road underneath was wet, not frozen. I love being the first tracks in the snow!