Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbob View Post
P.S. ...Dovestrobe...not to seem unfriendly, but can we try to be a bit optimistic and determined here? I'm realistic. I understand how, over recent years...and decades, so much infrastructure design has been produced, lacking inspiring aesthetic, reducing it to the level of mere functionality, and as the picture you posted shows...
He dug (Pun Intended) up one of my old images wsbob...

Last edited by K'Tesh; 01-16-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Exclamation Boy I Wish That We Had That Tunnel Tonight...

Tonight, rather than wait for 45 minutes for a bus to arrive at the Tigard Transit Center, I decided to ride home (31F/0C or colder) with black ice covering everything. I managed to keep myself on the Fanno Creek Trail almost the whole way from Tigard to SW Hall*. I felt the wheel slip on a couple of strokes, but I did what I could to keep a steady pace and not spin out.

When I finally got to SW Hall, I found it to be a skating rink. Worse, more than one car turned into the Albertsons/Arbys parking lot and made me fear that they would loose control and slide into me. When my chance to move finally came, I realized that I'd never be able to ride across that ice, so I dismounted and walked.

Damn! I WANT that tunnel!!! To be able to get across Hall w/o having to play dodge car would be a nice change.

*the one spot I left the trail, I was on a slope that made me fear that I'd fall if I tried to keep my line.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 01-15-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:49 AM
Site Admin

Default no one around during bad weather?

One other thing occurred to me while riding the Fanno Creek Trail during the past few months. It seems like sometimes I'm the only one out there, especially in bad weather or after dark. What happens if the bike slips out from under me, and I go down? How long until someone comes along and calls 911?

Have other people noticed how frequently or infrequently someone happens along, especially at night?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb 3 things to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by setha View Post
One other thing occurred to me while riding the Fanno Creek Trail during the past few months. It seems like sometimes I'm the only one out there, especially in bad weather or after dark. What happens if the bike slips out from under me, and I go down? How long until someone comes along and calls 911?

Have other people noticed how frequently or infrequently someone happens along, especially at night?
Wear a helmet, carry a cell phone, and pray.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Site Admin

Yet one more argument for a recumbenr trike ...w/ snowshoes!

Old 03-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Site Admin

How to put a Hall Blvd overpass over the Fanno Creek Trail? An Oregonian story about a new bridge over Oregon 213 near Oregon City has a splendid graphic that gives some idea of how that could be done:

Hall Blvd, of course, doesn't have an existing overpass under which foundations for an overpass could be built while the overpass span was under construction adjacent to Hall Blvd. That might mean supports for the span under construction would have to be sufficiently strong to support use of the span once it was constructed, in the construction location. Traffic could be diverted onto the new span, and the Hall Blvd alignment could be prepared as needed for the new span to slide into place. Or...Hall Blvd could permanently be left with the bump-out change in alignment.

Most likely very expensive to do. Just how highly do people value this park...today and into the future, is a key question to high quality of crossing will be built.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Site Admin

The Oregonian in a story yesterday, reported on the most recent public meeting on a safer transition past Hall Blvd for Fanno Creek Trail users. Plans to select one of the two main options, a bridge or a tunnel, was halted due to concern over projected costs, 5 million and 9 million respectively.

Fanno Creek Trail crossing is put on hold after cost estimates soar

"... The estimated $2 million and $3 million price tags attached only a few months ago to the bridge and tunnel, respectively, have risen to $5 million and $9 million, according to staff reports. ..." dana tims/oregonian

The story doesn't detail reasons why the costs 'soared' ...just that they apparently have.

The story also reminds us that City of Beaverton is working with THPRD ... Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District on this because it's a park crossing a road in Beaverton. Beav Mayor Denny Doyle is reported to have moved to adjourn the meeting because there was no consensus.

Disappointing is that neither in the O story or THPRD's website page are there posted conceptual renderings of what the two options could be best expected to look like for the anticipated costs. This leaves people being expected to make a decision, having very little idea of what's to be had for the money. Wikipedia's brief page for overpasses has a few interesting bits of information...in the UK, they're referred to as 'Flyovers'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpass

Last edited by wsbob; 03-22-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Site Admin

June 27 was the date of the Oregonian's most recent story on the saga of arriving at some kind of improved crossing of Hall Blvd for visitors to the Fanno Creek Regional Trail:

Fanno Creek Trail moves forward with mid-block crossing at Hall Boulevard/Fong/Oregonian

Some of bikeportland's regular readers appear to have posted comments to that story, making for a fairly lively review of the situation, which inevitably questions the justification for spending money on a more accessible mid-block safe crossing, rather than the 1000' round trip required from the park, up to the Greenway intersection and back to the park to allow park visitors to resume their travel along this linear park trail.

Contradictory assumptions appear to have accompanied thoughts and decisions about what type of crossing for the park would be adequate or desirable for this particular intersection of park and heavily used road. Money is tight, so obviously, many people would not like money to be unnecessarily spent on infrastructure that isn't needed, or that would effectively be somewhat of a duplication of infrastructure that already exists, i.e., ...the Greenway intersection.

Is it even worth spending any money, even as much as a single dime, to create a mid-block crossing for the Fanno Creek Regional Trail at the obstacle Hall Blvd poses to it? Answering that should oblige asking just what Fanno Creek Regional Trail Park is, now, and what it will become as years go by. My guess, is that increasingly, many, many more people will be relying on this park's unique linear design for respite from the hustle-bustle of busy city life and dealing with road traffic. They don't need, nor will it be a benefit to the community to expect and oblige them...young and old, strong and frail alike...when visiting the park, to have to bop up along busy Hall Blvd to loop around and back into the park using Greenway.

In the O article, reference is made to concerns about a reduction of motor vehicle traffic flow that the comparatively low-end mid-block crossing consisting of a "... "high-intensity activated crosswalk": Trail users would push a button, causing a signal to flash yellow, then red. ...". Estimated cost? Vague, but from the story and comments to it...perhaps somewhere between $100,000 and $400,000; in other words...a ton of bucks.

Concern about a reduction of motor vehicle traffic flow that an at grade mid-block crossing might result in, is where, so to speak...the rubber hits the road. Story tells of the park district worrying about spending the 400 thou, only to possibly have ODOT eventually tell them: 'Nah...sorry...it's backing up too much road traffic, got to shut that mid-block signal down.'.

In this situation, whose priorities trump whose? It's our road and our park.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:06 AM
Site Admin

Bob, it is difficult to tell where you are coming from.

The O page isn't loading, but I feel compelled to point out that the crossing will be synchronized with the existing traffic lights. In addition, the at-grade crossing will require the LEAST modification of the existing roadway. As in, add crossing.

Compliance with using the Greenway intersection to cross is very low, and, even with the signals and marked crosswalk, is still a dangerous crossing.

Don't forget that those in wheelchairs also want this crossing. Not just cyclists.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
Bob, it is difficult to tell where you are coming from.

The O page isn't loading, but I feel compelled to point out that the crossing will be synchronized with the existing traffic lights. In addition, the at-grade crossing will require the LEAST modification of the existing roadway. As in, add crossing.

Compliance with using the Greenway intersection to cross is very low, and, even with the signals and marked crosswalk, is still a dangerous crossing.

Don't forget that those in wheelchairs also want this crossing. Not just cyclists.

"Bob, it is difficult to tell where you are coming from. ..." lynnef

Lat at night, I wore out before finishing a thorough explanation of my thoughts on this most recent development in the handling of a safer crossing. Also, I've touched on some of them in in earlier posts. Issues surrounding the park, what it is, what it should be recognized as being, and how it might best be developed accordingly seem to me to be very important issues, more important than people generally may be taking them.

I certainly do favor the mid-block yellow-with red light signal that's being planned, over no official improved safety crossing at this point that would leave visitors to the park to walk up to Greenway or risk a major collision crossing mid-block without a signal.

Though the signal would be an improvement over the existing situation, it's barely sufficient to allow the park to fulfill its role to the community. The high price tag for either bridge or tunnel option, shouldn't be keeping people from seeing the importance of being able to travel through the park without crossing the road.

The wood bridge crossing doesn't sound sufficient. Raising the road and creating a tunnel would be the option most consistent with the concept and aesthetics of the park. It's a lot of money...sure. Look at this way...if instead of the park, it was the road to which many millions of dollars needed to be spent to support the passage of an increased number of cars, officials would most likely be putting all their effort into that challenge...just as they do when it comes to moving rural reserve lands into urban reserve lands...or seeking to build a new bridge over the Columbia River.
(p.s. ...click on the link for O story again...I tried it this morning and it loaded up.)

Last edited by wsbob; 07-02-2012 at 09:58 AM.