Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Newbie Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Site Admin

Default finished overhaul

Pics taken without lights, computer & frame pump.

Couple more photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68895014@N03/6266056196/

*happy dmc*
Old 10-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Site Admin

DMC....nice job. No doubt you'll be excited to be riding it! So you've decided to keep the 'pie plate', the 'dork disc' the 'turkey legs' and the kickstand on the bike. Somebody has to keep that original mystique going.

I hope the tread on those gumwall tires aren't as thin as the photos!

Have a great time on the bike!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Site Admin

ahhaha, thanks wsbob! I am trying to keep this baby as original as possible. I was told that the original tires were replaced. I have some Mr. Tuffys hidden underneath them.

I have been approached by a couple gentlemen that have a nostalgia connection with the bike and have really praised my efforts.

I was asked at the bike shop a couple days ago "How did you do it?" (as in, clean the bike). My response: "steel wool and a LOT of elbow grease".

This was my first restoration/overhaul. I encountered a few bumps in the road (as you know wsbob) but with a little help from a couple LBS, problems were solved. The handlebar stem was completely corroded and I needed professional help to get that removed. You will notice that I am not using an original stem (perhaps sometime down the road). Everything was taken apart except for the spokes/rims which where oiled and trued.

Most rewarding job: My first time wrapping handlebar tape. I am extremely proud of the job I did.

Most unrewarding job: Removing the corroded stem.

As far as costs, well... I never thought it was ever very polite to inquire. It's fun to know though, so:

SS from craigslist: $225 (seller had owned bike for 18 years, a real stand up guy)
Cable housing and inner wires: $6
Bar Tape: $20
Stem removal: $15
Replacement stem: $12
Professional rear wheel dish: $15
Bearings replacement: $8
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Total: $301

That figure isn't including the grease, oil, steel wool, degreaser & cleaning products that I had already owned. The real kicker was the labor involved. I will leave that to your imagination.

By all means, not a "steal" of a deal. When you fall in love with something like I have, labor is free and is never questioned.

I road this bike when I first purchased it for a few dozen yards. I didn't feel comfortable riding it any further due to my injury. Yesterday was my first time on a road bike since my accident and the first time I rode the SS since purchase and after overhaul. I made sure I had on my new bright white sneakers to compliment the bike and to show it off as I rode down the Vancouver Waterfront MUP. lol....

Thanks for reading!!

Last edited by dmc; 10-21-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:23 AM
Site Admin

Default Long Term Lurker

I lurk on these forums regularly. I can be seen almost daily creeping across SE Portland from my home in Lents to my work in Hollywood. 99% of the time I'm riding this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71609819@N03/6471809769/

I got that Jamis Satellite Sport for cheap at the LBS and it's been a solid commuter and wonderful light-touring bike. I got a few upgrades including new blue bar tape, blue-striped cheap-o vittoria tires, full fenders, a rack, and a new rear wheel from Sellwood Cycle Repair. One day I might even upgrade from the stock saddle and notoriously ill-fitting seatpost.
-Sew

Last edited by K'Tesh; 12-07-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: fixed broken image
Old 12-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewCrates View Post

I can be seen almost daily creeping across SE Portland {snip}

"Creeping," eh? Jamis Sport...skinny Vittorias...brifters... You sure you aren't a Cat-6 sandbagger?

Nice bike! But upgrade your lights, like in the recent thread here.

BTW, Flickr's instructions for sharing the link don't work; you did what they said to do and the IMG didn't show up. Not your fault! I cheated and looked at my browser's "View Source" to grab the actual JPG location.

Last edited by Alan; 12-12-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: "Last edited by K'Tesh; 12-07-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: fixed broken image" -- Nah, it was working fine for me. --A :)