Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Site Admin

Default Commuting to Lewis and Clark from SW

Hi everyone,
I live just a bit West of Greenway Park in Beaverton and next week I need to commute four days to Lewis and Clark- somewhere I've never ridden to before. Via Google Maps the best route I can figure is to take Hall to Oleson to Multnomah Blvd. From there I could follow Terwilliger around to campus, but I thought it might be faster to cut across the bridge on 19th ave. and then make my way down Spring Garden and Taylors Ferry and reconnect with Terwilliger. No bike lanes but maybe flatter and quicker? It appears to be fairly residential through that area so I'm hoping I don't run into a lot of traffic. It's shaping up to be double my normal commute as is.

If anybody has ridden a similar route before, I'd appreciate any feedback. I will be working on the graduate campus, so also any advice about where to lock my bike, clean up, etc. would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Site Admin

I like Multnomah Blvd. but they've been doing contruction on the I5 end which will detour you. I recommend the spring garden/Taylor's Ferry route up to Terwilliger (S). From there take the residential route suggested by Google along Lobelia-5th-Primrose-Palatine Hill-Riverside (at the collage). Hall and Olsen have decent enough bike lanes. You will be doing some climbing but nothing impossible; relatively gentle.

Check it out on MapMyRide: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/59321348/
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/59321348/

Last edited by Simple Nature; 11-27-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
I like Multnomah Blvd. but they've been doing contruction on the I5 end which will detour you.
So I wouldn't be able to take Multnomah Blvd. all the way to either 22nd or 19th ave? That's the route you've indicated (22nd) on mapmyride. Thanks for the feeback!

M
Old 11-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Site Admin

After tinkering with map my ride and google maps a little, it looks like an even better route would be Denny to Garden Home, bypassing Hall and Oleson. I think I can cut out several hills by doing this.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Site Admin

They were working on the I5 frontage, so they closed the east bound lane at 22nd. Not sure how long the work was slated for. It is a nice route with the exception of a few major street crossings.

Do you really want to take Denney? I don't remember Denney having a bike lane. Could be wrong here. I've always avoided it. I take the lane on Allen a lot since its 4 lanes to get to and from the trail to Garden Home (Olsen/Multnomah).

All in all, the route is a pretty steady climb all the way... Which means a pretty steady coasting all the way home too.

I've learned there are a lot of nice exploritory routes including the route through Lake-O to get to Tigard. The trail down Tryon (N->S) is beautiful if not a bit over-leafed and a few wrinkles in the asphalt. Then again, I'll take a well established bike lane over a 2-lane with a fog line any day. Neighborhoods are another story. I belong in the middle of 25mph roads.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Site Admin

Denny doesn't have bike lanes but I thought it might be a little bit more direct and a little less climbing and less traffic than Hall. I'll have to pick my poison. I'll be leaving early enough I shouldn't have to deal with too mug traffic on Denny.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Site Admin

Multnomah Blvd construction is finished. You can ride all the way to Terwilliger. The return route is different. Taylors Fy and Spring Garden are narrow and expose you to arterial traffic. My alternate is Terwilliger to 6th (behind Pappaccino's), lt on Hume, lt on 12th, rt on Carson to Capitol Hill Sch, rt one block to Spring Garden.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Site Admin

Made the ride for the first time today. Missed the turn at Terwillerger and unfortunately went down the hill on Taylors Ferry a ways before realizing my mistake. That was an ugly ride back up with no shoulder. I will look into these alternates to that road before tomorrow since that road really doesn't have much of a shoulder.

Thanks everyone for the insight!