Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Site Admin

Default SW - Capitol Hwy at Hillsdale Town Center

My afternoon bike commute takes me from SW Terwilliger, onto Capitol through Hillsdale, and on Hwy 10 (Farmington). The section at Hillsdale Town Center (where Wilson HS and all the stores are) can be quite dangerous if you're not fully alert. There is a bike lane but lots of cars are turning into/from sideway streets and during peak traffic people don't seem to watch where they're going.

I was passing through there a few weeks ago, it was already dark. Long story short, this guy in a SUV suddenly turned to the right practically in front of me (goes without saying - no turn signal). Thankfully we were both going slowly but I was on the ground in no time. I know I shouldn't have been so close behind him in the bike lane but I was tired from a long day at work and nursing a headache. Normally I try not to pass cars on the right when approaching intersections. One more lesson learned.

And while I'm at it, if you're EVER in an accident, make sure you communicate clearly to the driver that he/she must stop so you can both assess the damage and exchange information. Don't assume they'll do it :(