Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Newbie Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
There is no question in my mind that my tires need to be replaced with higher grade ones. Hopefully that will come in the next month. Meanwhile, I have installed Mr. Tuffy's tire liners. I have high hopes of utilizing these for a few years.

I sat down by myself and had my first "Patch Party". I had to practice on about 3 tubes before I found the right formula of rubber cement vs surface area vs drying time.

I am currently riding on a rubber cement patched tube in my back tire and a patched tube as my spare. I am very happy and confident that the system works.
I will never buy pre-glued "patches" (glorified stickers) again. I am a rubber cement patch guy from here on out!

By taking my time and patching my tubes according to instructions I was able to recoup 30 dollars of puncture tubes.

I'm what you would call a "happy camper".
dmc ...glad you were successfully able to find first hand that a patch on a tube doesn't necessarily rule out reliable future use.

And now for something completely different (but still related to tube integrity.) ...a couple days ago, I had a weird tube failure upon doing an on the road repair. On lovely, generally very clean Fairmount Boulevard, I had uncanny skill in squarely hitting a single small rock right in the middle of the road. It had some abrupt projections that produced a flat.

Nice place to do an on the road repair...a little sun out, so no problem fixing it...I thought. Patch the tube, slip it back into the tire, put the pump on, inflate it...air holds. Great! Try to pull the pump off the stem (presta)...it doesn't want to release (pump stem lock is released.). Not sure why it doesn't want to release.

The short story, is that I pulled a little harder, resulting with the stem rod that the thumb nut screws down on breaking off. Maybe the stem rod had a little bend in it, causing it to hook on the inside edge of the pump stem gasket.

Tube held its inflation, so I got home...but, with the thumb nut no longer there, further tube inflation wasn't possible. This kind of thing possibly happening, is another reason to carry an extra tube.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Site Admin

Default what I've learned..

is to not remove the tube completely from the rim. inflate it to find the leak, and look at the corresponding area where the leak is to find that thorn, shard of glass,etc
But yeah, at $5 a pop (literally) its a good idea to patch. but carry a spare, just in case.. along with the means to inflate a tube.