Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 01:04 AM
Site Admin

Default Visualize A Beautiful Underpass For Fanno Creek

I suppose a beautiful underpass for Fanno Creek Trail Park at Hall Blvd is just a crazy dream, but it doesn't hurt to take a look at some magnificent examples of how it has been done by other inspired people.

Note the type of arch and span of each Central Park bridge, rather than the rich materials and that they're designed to carry people rather than 4 lanes of motor vehicle traffic. The bridge shown at top, rises in the center, which would help deal with the low clearance issue at the Fanno Creek/Hall Blvd location.

Concrete would probably be the material a bridge/underpass for Fanno Creek Trail would be made of. I don't have a picture at present, but an overpass design based on something like those for Hwy 217 crossing Canyon and Beav/Hillsdale Hwy, is one I wonder if might be a possibility.

With cars running through them like mad, and being obliged to walk on a narrow sidewalk located at their extreme edges, the 217 overpasses are miserably bleak to walk under. If you block out the noise and visual clutter when walking under them, it's possible to see their design and finish, though very industrial compared to the Central Park bridges, is quite nice.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Smile Oh, now those ARE nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbob View Post
I suppose a beautiful underpass for Fanno Creek Trail Park at Hall Blvd is just a crazy dream, but it doesn't hurt to take a look at some magnificent examples of how it has been done by other inspired people.

Note the type of arch and span of each Central Park bridge, rather than the rich materials and that they're designed to carry people rather than 4 lanes of motor vehicle traffic. The bridge shown at top, rises in the center, which would help deal with the low clearance issue at the Fanno Creek/Hall Blvd location.

Concrete would probably be the material a bridge/underpass for Fanno Creek Trail would be made of. I don't have a picture at present, but an overpass design based on something like those for Hwy 217 crossing Canyon and Beav/Hillsdale Hwy, is one I wonder if might be a possibility.

With cars running through them like mad, and being obliged to walk on a narrow sidewalk located at their extreme edges, the 217 overpasses are miserably bleak to walk under. If you block out the noise and visual clutter when walking under them, it's possible to see their design and finish, though very industrial compared to the Central Park bridges, is quite nice.

I forwarded your message (and photos) on to members of Metro, ODOT, THPRD, and others.

I wish I had thought of finding images like that. Nice Job!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:17 AM
Site Admin

Go thought Dawson Creek park sometime. It has a lot of unobtrusive underpasses.

What may be part of the problem is that they would rather put money into earthworks to heave the road than some constructive landscaping to allow for the underpass with grade as-is.

Last edited by Simple Nature; 09-30-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Why "as is" doesn't work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
What may be part of the problem is that they would rather put money into earthworks to heave the road than some constructive landscaping to allow for the underpass with grade as-is.
We can't leave the road "as is" and get the underpass. The trail "as is" is barely above the water table. Unless we want to deal with a trail that is submerged for most of the year, we need to keep the trail above the water table.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Site Admin

The bridge/overpass Simple Nature included a picture of in post #13, is o.k. in terms of height and span (not sure about the looks of the old concrete facing.). It's a little hard to see on the right side of the bridge opening, but I think a bit of the trail is visible. Looks to be a couple feet above the height of the creek. That would be fine for the Hall Blvd crossing, even though probably still subject to periodic flooding.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Site Admin

There is a small offset waterfall going on under the bridge but since it is man-made, it isn't prone to flooding but it does have its share of runoff muck. Otherwise, yes, the trial is at the water level. From street level, you'd never know you were on a bridge or even a rise.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Site Admin

Default Grade Separated Trail Crossing Modeled After Greenway Trail Bridge?

I used to live off of Sorrento, up until 1992. Even then the Fanno Creek crossing was a topic of discussion.

Here's a link to google earth
that shows the trail which goes over Greenway Blvd, which is about a half a mile from the Fanno Creek Trail crossing being discussed. I had thought that this type of treatment for the Fanno trail would be nice, and be possible in terms of getting money to pay for it. I suspect that doing a grade separated crossing for the Hall Blvd roadway would be prohibitively expensive.

Another example of this type of crossing is on Cedar Hills Blvd., here.

A problem with both of these examples is that they show the road surface below the grade of the surrounding terrain. For the Fanno Creek trail crossing, a bridge would have to arch up over the trail. And it would have to allow sufficient height so that it would not get hit by a passing truck. That happened once to the Greenway Blvd. crossing, which is possibly why they have the orange bridge height sign on it now.

And a bigger problem with this is that it would syphon money away from a possible fix of Crash Corner, aka Oleson/Scholls/Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default Found it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbob View Post
On the lower right corner of the drawing for the underpass, is that a digitally altered photo showing what the underpass option could look like? If so, anyway someone could get that pic posted to this thread?

I still like your ideas better wsbob.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Site Admin

Reality, Bob...

Just thought you might want to lower your expectations just a little
Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Site Admin

K'tesh...comment#18 and pic with that post.... Great work locating that street view of the underpass, a photo of which was used in the presentation!

Looks like the designers did some very nice bas-relief work for the facade of that underpass, depicting natural forms...trees, terrain, people on bikes and so forth. Despite this, the actual underpass passage seems far too vault like, though the slightly arched ceiling and the pleasing way it changes the shape of the underpass entrance is certainly better than a non-arched ceiling would have been.

I would hope the designers for a possible Fanno Creek/Hall Blvd underpass could draw up some ideas for an underpass design that's at least three times the width of the Vancouver trail underpass shown; something airy, that possibly allows light and natural plant forms from the other side of the passage to be seen, as the Central Park bridge designs allow for Central Park. The chances of getting people on board to support the funding for this crossing infrastructure, and to come visit the park seem likely to be much better if what's created is something truly beautiful.
P.S. ...Dovestrobe...not to seem unfriendly, but can we try to be a bit optimistic and determined here? I'm realistic. I understand how, over recent years...and decades, so much infrastructure design has been produced, lacking inspiring aesthetic, reducing it to the level of mere functionality, and as the picture you posted shows...sometimes not even that very well. This is something that should change. Fanno Creek Park is a potentially magnificent verdant urban park. In it's own way, with the care, attention and devotion it's worthy of, the park could rise to the caliber of being one of the grand urban parks of the U.S.

Traffic handling capacity expansion made to Hall Blvd in recent years has already taken away from the experience the park can offer Beaverton and visitors to the park. It's time to get something back for the park and people that will want and need to come visit it in the years to come.

Last edited by wsbob; 10-04-2011 at 11:18 AM.