Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Site Admin

Bob, you have entirely too much time on your hands... or you are a typist by profession. Either way, lots of good sense in your post. How do we mobilize a group efort in resolving this situation? I was going to get some pix or vids of the situation next monday.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
Bob, you have entirely too much time on your hands... or you are a typist by profession. Either way, lots of good sense in your post. How do we mobilize a group efort in resolving this situation? I was going to get some pix or vids of the situation next monday.
All the writing is partly a kind of mental exercise. It's a good way to relax and think things through.

I don't know much about mobilizing people through groups to leverage action. I know people do form such groups, and some of those type groups efforts can sometimes have quite an effect. Not a very related example, but 'Save North Plains', I think...headed up by the ex-Californian Cherry Ambiasa, comes to mind.
First item to consider, is whether a group can be assembled. Participation in a group usually means people committing a certain amount of their time and energy, and sometimes money (but hopefully not here.), to get something accomplished. If enough stands to be lost due to an identified problem or issue, people might recognize that committing their time and energy to address the problems, is justified.
Here with the garbage bins on 170th, while it would be great to keep them out of the bike lane, I expect there may not be enough people that find the bike lanes must be clear in order for them to safely travel the road. Like me, they're probably quick and fast enough (a-hem....), to just jump into the main lane and go around. I get the impression that a lot of people that ride, love any excuse to stay out of the bike lane. So it might be challenging to form much of a group.

For the moment, I'd say, definitely take pictures and send them to the county office. Also, post them to this thread (not a perfect way to make them publicly accessible, because people have to register to see them.), and to one of those free picture posting sites, with a link to that site on this thread. At least with that, people have a readily accessible way of seeing what the problem is. Maybe some of them will decide to take a ride down 170th, find the bins to be a problem, and then give the county a call.
While you're putting the pictures together, give the county people some more time, and hope they can can come up with some answers. Maybe it's possible to find the reason why whoever is leaving the bins out in the bike lane are doing so, and provide a remedy. You said something about "...significant vegetation along the curb ...". Maybe residents are worried the haulers won't see the bins to get their garbage taken away, so they put the bins in the bike lane where the hauler can see them.

Kind of jumping off topic here, but I wonder if a certain approach might help to focus awareness on areas that need attention. Such as a grass-roots self initiated citizen task force that takes on certain problems critically in need of attention. Using my area, Central Beaverton, as an example of such a problem, despite the good, informal work last week by K'Tesh, the creekside shrubbery of Beaverton Creek on Hall Blvd continues to be a problem. Jim (K'Tesh), was able to clear the shrubbery from blocking the sidewalk, but the creekside stuff still blocks the view for people attempting to leave the driveway, southbound onto the Watson leg of the Hall/Watson couplet.

I haven't timed it, but Beaverton Creek at Hall, is probably within, plus maybe a few minutes more, a 10 minute ride radius from the close in neighborhoods south of Farmington and between Lombard and Watson. This radius and the straight through routes the couplet with its bike lanes offer people willing to travel by bike, is what makes the couplet the important connecting bike route it is. It's why optimization of the route for safe and efficient, comfortable and appealing travel by bike...is so important for people in Beaverton. A general public awareness of that important functionality associated with the route is what may be lacking.

That goes for roadways, or at least, sections of them...like 170th too. The north of TV Hwy two-lane 170th to Baseline has an extraordinary volume of motor vehicle traffic. Riding it today...Sunday...at 2pm, the amount of traffic is stunning. Attempting to enter 170th northbound from Pheasant Ln, 35-45 cars passed before there finally was a gap large enough to cross the road and enter the bike lane.

I didn't time it, but I'll guess maybe 45 seconds to a minute, watching for an available entry space in the traffic. Northbound, there aren't a lot of residents living right next to this section of 170th (nature park, St Mary's convent.), so garbage bins on the bike lane isn't going to be the problem it is south of TV. With traffic this heavy though, even on an off work day such as Sunday, it likely wouldn't be hard for people to understand the problem barriers of any kind in the bike lane would represent to safe, flow of bike traffic...if they actually were made aware of the problem.

Last edited by wsbob; 08-14-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Site Admin

Today I went S on 170th. I only saw 5 cans in the N-bound bike lane; one group of 4 and a loaner further north. I'll keep an eye out to see if anything actually changed.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Site Admin

Today I received a nice email from Shelley Oylear, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordinator of the WashCo Engineering and Construction department. Shelley assures me that bike lanes are not to be used for garbage bins and that she will follow up with letters to the garbage service as well as cards to the residence. I replied to Shelley that I will keep her apprised of the progress.

If you know other WashCo locations where you know this problem exists, please inform Shelley; shelley_oylear [at] co.washington.or.us -or- 503.846.7819
Old 08-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Today I received a nice email from Shelley Oylear, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordinator of the WashCo Engineering and Construction department. Shelley assures me that bike lanes are not to be used for garbage bins and that she will follow up with letters to the garbage service as well as cards to the residence. I replied to Shelley that I will keep her apprised of the progress.

If you know other WashCo locations where you know this problem exists, please inform Shelley; shelley_oylear [at] co.washington.or.us -or- 503.846.7819
I'd say that's progress. Dates and tallies you and others provide her will probably help her make her message stronger.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Site Admin

Thumbs up Update...

I was impressed! Last night I rode along s.b. 170th and found 100% conformance where no bins were left in the bike lane. I am not sure what the pickup day is but this is a marked improvement from previous observations for removing bins after pickup. I wrote a quick email to Shelley (Washco) to let her know my appreciation for her efforts.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Site Admin

Always did seem as if it was the hauler's fault.
I can't imagine why individual homeowners would tote heavy bins any further than is necessary.

I know with Aloha Garbage you get a lot of online reviews like "Attitude Customer Service is Horrible".
One can easily imagine that haulers are told not to pick up containers if they are not within a certain range of accessibility by the vehicle's hydraulic arm. As a practical upshot customers, with no competitors to turn to, are compelled to put bins anywhere and drivers put them back where ever is convenient to them.

This will require constant vigilance with local governments to police the trash collecting monopolies.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
I was impressed! Last night I rode along s.b. 170th and found 100% conformance where no bins were left in the bike lane. I am not sure what the pickup day is but this is a marked improvement from previous observations for removing bins after pickup. I wrote a quick email to Shelley (Washco) to let her know my appreciation for her efforts.

Better check to make sure what the pickup day is, for a better idea of how successful the efforts made towards encouraging people not to leave their bins on the bike lane has been.

Your original post: http://bikeportland.org/forum/showpo...37&postcount=1 noted that it was on a Monday night ride that you noticed bins out on the bike lane and then wrote the thread about it. Today is Thursday...1-3 days from when the pickup day might have been, assuming it was either on a Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Site Admin

True, I included that in my reply, Bob. I've been through there on a Tuesday and have seen bins in the street but a whole lot fewer than before. I've been through there on a Monday since my original post and saw no bins anywhere except the habitual violators. Short of contacting WM I won't know exactly what the pickup schedule is. I just keep an eye out whenever I happen to be there.

The 100% compliance is, however, a new high. In fact, it was clear all the way up to Oak st. This has -never- been the case and was worth noting.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
True, I included that in my reply, Bob. I've been through there on a Tuesday and have seen bins in the street but a whole lot fewer than before. I've been through there on a Monday since my original post and saw no bins anywhere except the habitual violators. Short of contacting WM I won't know exactly what the pickup schedule is. I just keep an eye out whenever I happen to be there.

The 100% compliance is, however, a new high. In fact, it was clear all the way up to Oak st. This has -never- been the case and was worth noting.