Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Site Admin

Default Fanno Creek Trail at Hall Blvd Trail Crossing

I didn't see anything recently posted on this, but so eveyrone is aware this crossing is being studied. They just set up a dedicated website:

http://www.fannocrossinghall.org/

The first meeting was last week.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Site Admin

Thanks for posting this; I will certainly be looking to attend their meetings.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Site Admin

I do like the tunnel below scholls Ferry, very nice. Today I crossed Hall by turning right, entering the turn lane and curtailing back to the route that leads to Denny. Kinda scary. Some cars go way too fast for comfort!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Site Admin

The tunnel under Scholls is great in the summer, but closed by mud/water in the winter. I suspect they might have the same problem with a tunnel under Hall; you can't lower the creek and raising the road would be VERY expensive.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Site Admin

I'm for tunneling under Hall but they would need to pump the water. Why not simply add another light? Shouldn't pedestrians and cyclists have some rights to cross a busy thorough-fair in a convenient manner? I know planners hate mid-street crossings but at some point it just makes sense. With the smart control systems today, the impact on traffic could be minimized easily.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Site Admin

Default What about a bridge?

What about a raised pedestrian bridge? that seems more "elegant" and also more fitting into the Corporate-environment that this trail exists in. I ride this every day and luckily when riding to work; I can dart across the street.

When I ride home though; I actually shift my route, turning left onto Hall from Nimbus and avoiding the "Tigard" side of the Fanno creek trail alltogether b/c i can't cross Hall at that time of day.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulienPDX View Post
I actually shift my route, turning left onto Hall from Nimbus and avoiding the "Tigard" side of the Fanno creek trail alltogether b/c i can't cross Hall at that time of day.
Thanks for the tip. I feel a little stressed out when I have to merge out onto the changing lane and then get over to the other side safely. One time I had a line of cars facing me while I stood waiting with their left turn signals on, and as soon as traffic was clear, one of them decides to get back into the traffic lane as just as I made my turn. I quickly made my turn uncomfortably wary of that car. As a cyclist, expect the unexpected always!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Site Admin

Default Meeting #2

Reminder that tomorrow, Wednesday 8/3/11 is the second meeting on this issue for those that can attend.

Conestoga Rec Ctr, Room 202
9985 Southwest 125th Ave.
Beaverton, OR 97008

6:30 - 8:30 p.m.

Tags
fanno creek, hall blvd.