Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Site Admin

Swoopy step throughs do seem to be kind of scarce in the U.S. I'm basing that on discussion over at bikeforums various 'classic and vintage' threads. (I wish there were more, because I think certain types of people riding them could add quite a lot of extra beauty to our part of the world.). Mixte frames, on the other hand, like the orange one pictured in your comment, aren't uncommon, used, but are Hot!-Hot!-Hotly! in demand. On craigslist. $75.00 just for the frame. Complete bikes, $100 minimum, often going $175-$250. .

People seem to be saying most older mixtes are mid to lower range in quality of materials, construction and components. Some of them though, have Reynolds or other high end tubing, road geometry and high quality components. Yours looks to be fixed up kind of nice...in the little picture, it's hard to tell exactly what it's got.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Site Admin

I have'nt qiute figured out Flikr yet.

Thanks K'tesh.I think it worked.

moto 011 by michaelk43

Last edited by eastside mike; 05-06-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside mike View Post
I have'nt qiute figured out Flikr yet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6244284...in/photostream

I'll post visuals later... but...
  • above the left corner of the image is an email facebook and twitter symbol, and a down arrow.
  • click on the down arrow.
  • click on "Grab the HTML/BBCode"
  • select the "* BBCode"
  • then click in the window under the "Copy and paste the code below:" box. The code will highlight when selected.
  • copy the code, then paste it into your message.
  • any extra editing will need to be done in the message editor (like getting rid of the " The Fanno Creek Trail's New Segment Is Finally Finished... by KTesh, on Flickr" stuff).

it's really just that easy now...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 05-06-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Site Admin

eastside mike, comment 12 ...the bigger picture definitely helps to see the nice details on your mixte. You've obviously got it fixed up very nice! Drillium too! Makes those chain rings look very delicately french.

In the last week or two, there's been a couple mixtes on Portland Craiglist that could be very good deals. Same party, apparently they aren't selling for some reason. A Raleigh, and something called a Firenze, $100 and $150 respectively. I noticed from the pics that it had nice tapered and filled seat stay ends. It's a lugged frame; pics don't show quite well enough, but the lug work seems to be fairly good. Flashy red and yellow color too.

On the other hand, a very brief web search pulled up a 2004 bikeforums thread about Firenze bikes. It said sometime way back when, a bunch of really cheap crap bikes were imported From Taiwan. So crappy, they couldn't be sold. To beat that problem, some tv guy is said to have wound up giving them away as a promo. Not sure whether this is one of those bikes.

Last edited by wsbob; 05-06-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbob View Post
Departing again somewhat from the criteria of this thread's title, but the following picture of a bike displayed in an ad on Portland Craigslist is both affordable, and of a beautiful style that's close to the of bikes depicted in my first post.

Not too far from Portland. If I was after a bike like this, I'd cross my fingers, contact the people, and hope I got it.
Remember the above bike? The very same bike (note the front and rear tires.) seems to be up for sale again on cragslist...moved to Vancouver, a little closer to Portland...up to $95 from $75. This seller (maybe the same one, just moved?) posted a detail shot of the nice vintage chainwheel.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Site Admin

Remember the main page story (may post link later.) about the 'OPA' dutch bike that Walmart is selling for $250 ?

Just noticed the following bikes for sale on craigslist. The pictured bike looks very similar to the wallyworld OPA:

Ad text: "Two original wuyang bikes for sale. We had these shipped from overseas. They are in new condition as they have stored in our garage since we have gotten home. Great price for such a strong sturdy bike.
$125 for each one. Come have a look, SUPER COOL CRUISERS "