Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
this shows a pretty quiet route between Hillsboro and Banks -- as well as other north coast routes:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...36638&a=301633
Thank you Jeff. I downloaded the .pdf files and added them to my existing collection of .pdf bike path files, In case the internet were to ever go out heaven forbid.

~~~~

Lacorota, I'm really interested in your trip details. This is something I plan on doing after I complete my first century (hopefully in the next year). From what I know of your mileage postings, this must be a day ride for you. Are you gonna get a place to crash in Astoria and then bike back? Or get a ride back? What type of elevation gain is this gonna be?

Last edited by dmc; 01-19-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Site Admin

Default Awesome info.

Thanks to all of you! It goes to show this forum is the very best! I didn't expect so many details coming from first-hand experience. I'll avoid hwy. 30 at all costs. It's my guess all the suggested routes should be passable during typical February weather -- stormy days excluded.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Site Admin

Question about that Mist - Birkenfeld - Jewel route.

Last summer I rode out to Fort Stevens from Beaverton, following the ODOT map. I went through Hillsboro, up the Banks trail to Vernonia, where I camped. From Vernonia to Fort Stevens was a 70+ mile ride. I made it, but it was the longest, hardest day I've done on a loaded (or unloaded for that matter ) bike.

I got to Vernonia in early afternoon and would have had plenty of time to go further, if I knew of a camping spot further down the road.

I'd be keen to cut some miles off the second day if anyone has any suggestions on camping arrangements.

-Cota
Old 07-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Site Admin

Cota, how was it to negotiate the logging trucks? Is there a trick to this?
I did the route by car and considered it off limits for my recumbent trike.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Site Admin

Big Eddy county park is another 8 or so miles down the road from Vernonia. You can camp there; it doesn't cut too many miles out of the second day, but it helps a little bit.

And speaking as someone who has ridden it a dozen times, logging trucks on 47 slash 202 are not a problem. That road is EMPTY. Any cars you encounter have plenty of room to go around you in the oncoming lane.

Last edited by cyclotouriste; 07-05-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
Cota, how was it to negotiate the logging trucks? Is there a trick to this?
I did the route by car and considered it off limits for my recumbent trike.
I had no trouble with the log trucks. It worried me at first, there are several blind corners. But they always gave me plenty of room. I did my best to not to be on the otherside of a blind of a corner by adjusting my speed or position in the lane.

And thanks for the tip about Big Eddy County Park. I think I know the place. I stopped in and looked at it on my way out of Vernonia. The place was deserted (it was october though), and didn't appear to have any hiker/biker sites. Even though it's only 8 miles, it might be worth it cost. I'd sure like to get a little further though.

-Cota
Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Site Admin

I see a fish hawk falls - lee wooden county park just past Jewel. Any facilities there?

Last edited by Simple Nature; 07-06-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
I see a fish hawk falls - lee wooden county park just past Jewel. Any facilities there?
Nope: http://www.co.clatsop.or.us/default....000&pageid=156
Old 07-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclotouriste View Post

I did see this... tells me that roughing it should be okay.

Cultural/Historical Significance:
Area residents have used the
meadow area in the past for weddings
and Boy Scout campouts.

http://www.co.clatsop.or.us/Assets/D...E%20WOODEN.pdf
Old 07-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cota View Post
I had no trouble with the log trucks. It worried me at first, there are several blind corners. But they always gave me plenty of room. I did my best to not to be on the otherside of a blind of a corner by adjusting my speed or position in the lane.

And thanks for the tip about Big Eddy County Park. I think I know the place. I stopped in and looked at it on my way out of Vernonia. The place was deserted (it was october though), and didn't appear to have any hiker/biker sites. Even though it's only 8 miles, it might be worth it cost. I'd sure like to get a little further though.

-Cota
I stayed at Big Eddy last year. They let us cyclists camp in the day-use area, charging us $7 apiece, as I recall. I agree with you about wanting to get farther along, though.

BTW, if you stay at Big Eddy, take earplugs: logging trucks go by throughout the night.

Last edited by zaphoda; 07-08-2011 at 06:53 PM.