Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Site Admin

Default Affordable, nice flashlight mount!

Watch the funny video explaining this device! Price $7.11

http://www.bikemanforu.com/products/...handlebar.html
Old 07-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Site Admin

Exclamation Auto parts store, excellent source for bargains!

I just purchased Mother's aluminum polish $5.99 (one's bike gleams with this stuff!) and spray lube $9.99 multi purpose (huge can) for my chain. Went to car quest off of SW Allen. My major complaint was that they didn't have bike racks. I locked up to a tree on a little hill between the parked cars. Good thing I brought my cable!

I said, "You'd probably double your business if you had bike racks." They didn't take kindly to my comment.

In addition a great place to buy reflective tape for one's bike. Course tools are also available for one's convenience.

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 07-05-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovestrobe View Post
Watch the funny video explaining this device! Price $7.11

http://www.bikemanforu.com/products/...handlebar.html
You can make something similar with an old bike tube for smaller flashlights. Cut a section of the tube about 2 inches wide (more or less depending on your flashlight size), cut this small tube section so you have a rectangular piece and then cut two holes in each end. Put flashlight through one hole, around handle bar and back whole on the flashlight. This has worked well for my 2AA maglite.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Site Admin

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourknees View Post
You can make something similar with an old bike tube for smaller flashlights. Cut a section of the tube about 2 inches wide (more or less depending on your flashlight size), cut this small tube section so you have a rectangular piece and then cut two holes in each end. Put flashlight through one hole, around handle bar and back whole on the flashlight. This has worked well for my 2AA maglite.
Do you have a way of taking a photo of this and posting it? Thanks!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Site Admin

Quote:

Made by Kent bike company. GMC Denali

$159.00 at walmart (50.8 et 57cm frame)... 63cm (more expensive @ $179.00) , shipping included. Yet it is well built and has rave reviews on amazon and YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKf7YDIGUvU

I am tempted to purchase this 28 pounder for cruising when off my tank mountain bike steed.

Specifications:
Frame: Aluminum 7005 straight gauge
Handlebar: Maesbend W: 430mm D:22.0mm
Gearing: 21-speed
Shifters: Shimano Revo SIS L2/R7
Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-TZ 31 Index
Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-TZ30GS 7SPD
Saddle: Cionlli Black
Seat post: HL Aluminum Micro Adjust 27.2 x 300 mm
Brakes: Promax 501A Alloy Caliper Brake
Brake levers: Promax BL-250AP Aluminum
Tires: Kenda Black With Grey Band 700X28C
Rims: Vitesse Alloy black 700CX14GX36H
Pedals: VP-990S plastic body with steel cage
Fork: GMC Series 7000 steel
Chain: KMC Z 51
Crankset: Prowheel Alloy 335P6 28X38X48 170mm
Stem: Aluminum black EXT:100mm 0D.
Alloy calipers and ally brake levers
High-profile alloy Vitesse racing rims
Dimensions: 68"L x 18"W x 40"H
Assembly required
Warranty: lifetime frame, 1-year parts

I'd be tempted to change out the pedals, change the tires, put better tire (spoke) tape in the wheels, remove the plastic guards and kick stand. And make sure the bottom bracket is good and tight prior to riding.

Dovestrobe, maybe you did a search, found and browsed this thread, but just in case, here's a link to a bikeforums member review of the GMC Denali road bike: bikeforums member review of GMC Denali road bike
Old 07-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Site Admin

Default Thank's Bob!

Yes, I believe I did read that review. Gives the bike due justice.

Recently I received my new on a budget flashers at http://www.lightinthebox.com/wholesa...e-Lights_c3093:
100_1146.jpg

Pretty nice! Two very tiny screws hold the clip to the back of the device. If you decide to purchase these, use a screw driver to open them, otherwise the back clip may break off as it did for me. No problem though, super glued it back together.

I used one of the light's seat post mounts to make a flashlight mount for my 3 LED flashlight I purchased for a dollar at Dollar Tree:
100_1156.jpg
100_1154.jpg
100_1155.jpg

I used plumbers tape to extend the blinky light's seat post mount length, then I used an old toe clip strap to fasten the mount.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Site Admin

Default Old Tube to Hold Flashlight Pics

Quote:
Do you have a way of taking a photo of this and posting it? Thanks!
MAGlight (2AA) with LED conversion and how tube is cut: (basicially a big rubberband).

Easier to mount under handlebars so all weight is below and not having to balance.

Another angle with light on. You could also put some non-slip materials around the handlebar to keep it from sliding on a bare handlebar. It does hold well on a roadbike bar wrap material. Or put cut the holes closer together to make it tighter.

Simple and easily to mount and remove. hopefully the pictures show if not, they are in my album in my profile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flash c.jpg (63.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg flash b.jpg (62.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg flash a.JPG (90.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by fourknees; 07-15-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: adding pictures to post
Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Site Admin

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourknees View Post
Simple and easily to mount and remove. hopefully the pictures show if not, they are in my album in my profile.
Thanks! Very nice! Sometimes the easiest mechanical methods are the hardest to explain; or, for that matter the hardest for others to understand! A picture is worth a thousand words. I will probably make 2 of these mounts. You never know, my mount could always break or be stolen. This is the most affordable recycled mount I've ever seen!

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 07-15-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Site Admin

Another tip is I used a grommet punch to make the holes. It just happened to be the perfect size.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Site Admin

Downtown today, at PSU, I saw one of the GMC Denali bikes...well, part of it...it had been converted to a single speed or fixed gear. The welds looked intact...no blobs or holes, but they had some of the deepest ripples I'd ever seen in welds on a bike frame. Headset and crankset looked to be very low quality. Couldn't tell much in observing the wheels. Bike had a lot of road dirt on it.

Interesting about the bikeforums review I posted the link to in the earlier comment; The OP suggested he was a very strong rider, and got 6000 miles out of the bike before a collision with a tree or a pole after a run in with a motor vehicle. His review of the Denali, high opinion of it, and claims about his performance on the bike were received very controversially by readers at bikeforums. The thread went to 50 some pages.