Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Site Admin

Of late, I've been kind of lax about posting good deals from Performance Bicycle. Maybe I shouldn't have. Last Thursday or so, for Deal of the Day, there was a nice mountain bike tire $36 regular, on sale for $15.

Should of got this posted earlier, but not knowing much about mountain bikes, or much whether this is a good deal or not, I didn't. But since one of the forum members recently was in a crash and is looking for a new bike, maybe a 29'er, this could be timely. Here's the Deal of the Day for Monday, which is already well away as I'm writing this:

Quite a price range, starting from a low 'on sale' (don't think this includes DOD reduction.) of $629.99 (aluminum frame) on up to $3,464.99 (carbon fiber). I just clicked on one of about eight available that looked interesting:

They're cool looking bikes.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:03 AM
Site Admin

I know little about cranksets, but Performance Bicycle's 'Deal of the Day', is what looks to be a nice crankset for 30 percent of retail...."Our Price: $279.99...SALE: $79.99...(Save $200.00)":

Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Site Admin

Talking Low cost reflective tape!

100_1131.jpg
Hi guys!

A reflective tape (yellow bright) that is available at dollar tree (on Beaverton Hillsdale), ten reflective tapes for a dollar! At first it adhered quite flimsily to my day pack, but after a few hours was difficult to remove. Survived today's rain! Also comes in happy faces and hands, if you're interested in that sort of thing

I also placed reflective material on my velcro straps to my gloves which I use as a hand signal at night by twisting my wrist while signaling. An old fashioned blinker system.

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 06-28-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Site Admin

Exclamation No need to go blinkless at this price!

I just purchased 2 new blinky lights at LIGHT IN THE BOX for the summer, in case I get caught in the dark or deep gray in late afternoon (omg portland yeah!)

http://www.lightinthebox.com/Bicycle...A-_p76601.html

Inexpensive and FREE shipping (oh yeah!)

I'm thinking of placing one of these on my lower leg (old school style) with a strap to enhance the light effect.

***And on my wish list when my income hits a spike:

http://www.durawear.com/index.cfm/a/...4355/catid/208

This surely beats cyclecentric pricing!

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 07-01-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Site Admin

Made by Kent bike company. GMC Denali

$159.00 at walmart (50.8 et 57cm frame)... 63cm (more expensive @ $179.00) , shipping included. Yet it is well built and has rave reviews on amazon and YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKf7YDIGUvU

I am tempted to purchase this 28 pounder for cruising when off my tank mountain bike steed.

Specifications:
Frame: Aluminum 7005 straight gauge
Handlebar: Maesbend W: 430mm D:22.0mm
Gearing: 21-speed
Shifters: Shimano Revo SIS L2/R7
Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-TZ 31 Index
Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-TZ30GS 7SPD
Saddle: Cionlli Black
Seat post: HL Aluminum Micro Adjust 27.2 x 300 mm
Brakes: Promax 501A Alloy Caliper Brake
Brake levers: Promax BL-250AP Aluminum
Tires: Kenda Black With Grey Band 700X28C
Rims: Vitesse Alloy black 700CX14GX36H
Pedals: VP-990S plastic body with steel cage
Fork: GMC Series 7000 steel
Chain: KMC Z 51
Crankset: Prowheel Alloy 335P6 28X38X48 170mm
Stem: Aluminum black EXT:100mm 0D.
Alloy calipers and ally brake levers
High-profile alloy Vitesse racing rims
Dimensions: 68"L x 18"W x 40"H
Assembly required
Warranty: lifetime frame, 1-year parts

I'd be tempted to change out the pedals, change the tires, put better tire (spoke) tape in the wheels, remove the plastic guards and kick stand. And make sure the bottom bracket is good and tight prior to riding.

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 07-03-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Site Admin

Great deal.

1.) Replace tires.
2.) Overhaul BB.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Site Admin

Dovestrobe...nice tip. I won't search for and post the link, but a couple years or so back, over at bikeforums, someone bought one of these wallyworld deals, reviewed and road tested the bike over a year or so, with periodic thread updates. That person couldn't resist upgrading the bike with some fairly serious, superior stuff, but basically, the opinion was the bike would have help up just fine, just about how it was sold as packaged.

Shimano mountain spd 520's (work just fine for many people's road bike needs.) are often on sale for around $36. Someone had a nice pair on craigslist tonight for $20. Why not just ride those Kenda tires? So, assuming no big screwups on assembly, a usable road bike for around $200. .

Shifters are Shimano Revo. Twist grip shifting. Stem may be aluminum, but it looks kind of like chrome steel in the pics. Seat tube has that weird cutaway down near the bottom bracket. Wonder why the designers did that. Maybe it's some common thing that's been used for awhile that I'm not aware of. No quick release wheels.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Site Admin

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbob View Post
Seat tube has that weird cutaway down near the bottom bracket. Wonder why the designers did that. Maybe it's some common thing that's been used for awhile that I'm not aware of. No quick release wheels.
The quick release is ideal for racers and people who'd rather not bring along a wrench. I for one pack a wrench to do my care on the road. I read somewhere a person complaining about the weight of the device used to cinch down down the seat with allen bolts, perhaps it weighs a pound or two!? Looks like a lead weight. Anyway, these attributes are nice anti theft devices, no? The cutaway on the frame is something I've heard no one complain about. Perhaps this was done to allow for precise placement of the front derailleur?! Aerodynamic? Your guess is as good as mine!

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 07-04-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Site Admin

I don't think that's a cut-away... I think the downtube is a blade for aerodynamics but the tube has to be round at the derailleur... silly since they have braze-on derailleurs now. Then again, the lever is on the backside, so the "cut away" might be clearance for the derailleur lever.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovestrobe View Post
The quick release is ideal for racers and people who'd rather not bring along a wrench. I for one pack a wrench to do my care on the road. I read somewhere a person complaining about the weight of the device used to cinch down down the seat with allen bolts, perhaps it weighs a pound or two!? Looks like a lead weight. Anyway, these attributes are nice anti theft devices, no? The cutaway on the frame is something I've heard no one complain about. Perhaps this was done to allow for precise placement of the front derailleur?! Aerodynamic? Your guess is as good as mine!
The axle bolt might not be a big deal, and possibly a better security factor, especially if it's possible to get a locking bolt.

I tried to zoom in on that seat binder, but couldn't get close enough view to see what it was all about. Looked clunky though. But...it's a $159 bike!

The seat tube cutaway thing looks like it sort of might have been intended for aerodynamics or derailleur mounting, as you and simple nature noted. Hard to know for sure. I recall seeing bikes where cutaways like that follow the curve of the wheel for a greater length. Those looked good. This one doesn't so much, but it seems kind of a minor thing.

I can imagine some people with a very modest budget, buying this thing, and riding the wheels off it...driving people with fancier, more expensive bikes...nuts.