Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Site Admin

Re; comment #20, above, about possibly extending Millikan Way for bike and pedestrian traffic only, through the section shown in the picture above, I've been putting off talking to a city official about what might be done to have that happen.

Back to the correction of a few small but important (hopefully, to more people than myself), issues on Hall Blvd between Canyon Rd and Cedar Hills Blvd that I've devoted this thread to. Reading back a few comments, you'll note that weeks ago, the 'bike lane ends' sign was moved out to where it was more visible to road users. A bigger project that remains to be completed, is raising to street level, the catch basin just north of the light rail tracks. It's been on the schedule for weeks, months really, but being a lower priority job, it just takes time to get around to such things.

About when it might be repaired, yesterday, I emailed an employee with the city's public works. Here's the response I got this morning:
(start)

We looked at having a contactor do the work along with other structures that could use some repair. I believe he is going to let us know his price this week. If we donít use him, we will schedule to repair right away.

Kevin Azar

(end)

Looks like it could be awhile yet before the grate is actually raised, but it seems to be moving forward.

Maybe next, we could get the bushes on the creek bank whacked down to enable visibility of oncoming traffic for people trying to leave the parking area of the strip mall where Performance Bike is located. Currently, while positioned at the ramp leading into the street, and looking up the street, at this stage of the shrub's growth, it's possible, but rather difficult to see oncoming traffic through a small notch in the foliage.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Site Admin

wsbob - The bike/ped path connecting Millikan w/Lombard - you and I are not the only ones interested in this. At the Westside advocacy meeting a couple weeks ago (hoped to see you there), two others raised the subject - Bruce Buffington of the NW Bicycle Safety Council and Mike Lilly (don't know if he was representing anyone other than himself). Perhaps we should coordinate?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
wsbob - The bike/ped path connecting Millikan w/Lombard - you and I are not the only ones interested in this. At the Westside advocacy meeting a couple weeks ago (hoped to see you there), two others raised the subject - Bruce Buffington of the NW Bicycle Safety Council and Mike Lilly (don't know if he was representing anyone other than himself). Perhaps we should coordinate?

lynnef...glad to hear that. Guess I don't know what the Westside advocacy meeting is. I did a search and nothing came right up...post a link if it's handy. Maybe you're thinking of the Westside Transportation Alliance? Sure, keep me posted if you've more thoughts about coordinating something related to this. Can't claim to know much, or anything...about coordinating, but I'm open to good ideas about it. I've been figuring that the first thing for me to do is just pick an official from developmental services or some other commission/bureau, and just ask them. Just haven't done it yet. Maybe you all have a better idea.
For bike travel more accessible to less aggressive riders, I would think that being able to use such an extension to get over to Lombard via Millikan Way would be very compelling, especially since Hall Blvd in this area is, and for some time to come will likely be, a dicey road to travel on by bike. From a connectivity standpoint, I believe Mayor Doyle and Councilor Bode would appreciate that (I recall both of them having spoken of the importance of connectivity.).

I remember Beav traffic engineer Jabra Khasho saying the eventual plan was that the extension accommodate motor vehicle traffic...in a distant time...far, far away... . For now and for the foreseeable future, as far as I'm concerned, limited to pedestrian and bike traffic would be preferable. Both pedestrian and bike traffic would benefit from east-west routes that let them get off motor vehicle heavy thoroughfares such as Canyon, Beaverton-Hillsdale, and Farmington type roads, when possible.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Site Admin

I've just started a new job, but I'll get around to contacting all the interested parties. Just not immediately. It might be awhile...
Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
I've just started a new job, but I'll get around to contacting all the interested parties. Just not immediately. It might be awhile...
New job...hmmm , one you like, I hope!

Sure, see if the people you know have some ideas they think are worth pursuing, that might help produce an improvement there that's doable. I realize that something like the project we have in mind is one those things some people could easily feel would snowball into a big legalistic, expensive, drawn out endeavor (easements, eco impact studies, surveying, designing, engineering, materials, construction, blah-blah-blah).

Too bad if that happened, when probably 10-20 people with shovels, hoes, rakes, and gravel could maybe prep a simple path bed for a gravel base with an asphalt surface, maybe concrete. Fun to think about. Realistically, I'm aware that even a simple approach to making such an extension would be involved. Another thing, is that the apartments might require a screen fence separating some of their building's property from the path. This section of land is on the back side of the apartment building. As the informal path it is now, it's all loose and easy going, but may not be if it were to become an official public path. There are some public paths not far away along the creek that have such fences.

Nice to have probably, but realistically know how ideas of lighting, landscaping, watering system for the landscaping would likely effect an idea like this. Maybe the others will have some thoughts about how to manage a proposal for the best chance of having it fly.

Last edited by wsbob; 08-20-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Site Admin

Hey people... . Did I forget about the Hall Blvd storm grate that's set low into the road surface just north of the light rail tracks? The very grate I've written about in some detail in earlier posts to this thread, and about which I've also written to Beaverton City officials, thinking the possibility might exist that the grate can be lifted somewhat closer to the grade of the surrounding pavement, so all cyclists can ride over it without a big, body banging, wheel jolting lurch?

Well no...I have not. Took a bit of prompting, but after waiting nearly 6 months, I decided it was time to drop the city a line to see what if anything, is cookin' on this deal. A good man with the City of Beaverton Public Works, Sanitary / Storm Maintenance Lead, Kevin Azar, has been assigned the task of resetting the storm drain on Hall Blvd that I've been targeting for work, along with some others that have been identified as needing work as well. Here's excerpts from his latest email to me:
"Hi Darrell,

Iím very sorry I havenít responded lately, but we have been in negotiations with a company that worked for the City and has does this type of work, but recently we came to a decision that they were asking too much for the extent of work we asked for. This drug out for longer than expected, but I now have the direction I will need to go. Iím meeting with my manager to discuss the possibility of bidding out this work to another contractor or move ahead in-house. We do have more of this type of work to be performed around the city and Iím trying to get a- lump sum price to help cut costs and not interfere with our daily maintenance activities. Our construction section has been busy working on a sewer replacement project, and will soon be freed up for some repair work hopefully within 4-5 weeks. I can let you know what the outcome of the discussion is, and should be able to better answer the timeline it will take. This is the busiest time of the year for our crew, with the maintenance activities and flooding thatís been happening, and usually schedule this for the better weather timeís. Again, Iím sorry this has been delayed for this long and we should be able to get this and the other issues resolved at a reasonable time and at a minimal cost to the City.

Kevin Azar
Sanitary / Storm Maintenance Lead
City of Beaverton Public Works

I wrote Kevin back saying I would very much like to hear of when the work on the grate(s) is scheduled. When I do, I'll report back to all of you reading here. Don't give up! Eventually, you'll be able to make your trip by bike on Hall Bvd to the myriad attractions of Cedar Hills Crossing...New Seasons...Winco...Best Buy...a huge, multi-screen cinema...Old Navy...and a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember off the top of my head...with less fear of being motor vehicle smooshed while trying to get around the badly set storm grates.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Site Admin

Well! Got to say...I'd almost given up all hope that the low set Hall Blvd catch basin (which is directly in the path of the very narrow width of street upon which much of Hall Blvd's bike traffic here is likely to get channeled to.) just north of the light rail tracks, would ever be raised to a level that's more practical for bikes to roll over smoothly at speed.

Through a number of communications with Beaverton planning and Public Works officials, I'd been told that the catch basin in question had been added to a list of other street problems that would be addressed at some point. The answer to the question of 'when?', was very elusive.

To even get the catch basin on the list for repair, I had to meet up with the city's main planner to take a look at the catch basin first hand, and to explain the situation from the perspective of a person riding a bike. Interesting outcome of that meeting was, that the planner, though agreeing that the storm grate was "... a little low..", was not readily agreed that it was significantly bad enough to justify a very good repair (the planner does not, cannot ride a bike.).

The planner suggested the repair would likely be a simple tapering with a grinder, of the road surface surrounding the catch basin, to make a more gentle transition from the road surface to the top of the catch basin. Fortunately, on a later date (I wasn't present.), the planner had the road crew supervisor come out to take a look. The super said 'there's a better way'. Hurray!!

Winding up the story:

Roll up to the catch basin tonight about 8pm...what's that ahead where the catch basin is located? Orange cones, forms for retaining concrete, or asphalt, or something. Work is not finished, but definitely looks as though the catch basin is being worked on. Beaverton at Hall Blvd is close to becoming a little easier and safer for people traveling by bike. Took more than a year to bring this about, but it's something.

Should get pics of the work in progress...not sure I'll get around to it. I'd certainly welcome anyone passing by that has a camera, to pause a moment, take some snaps and post them.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:14 AM
Site Admin

Thats awesome wsbob!

We must all understand where the City's Planner is coming from when they cannot give you a direct answer on the spot. Their comments are being recorded and quoted without backing and advisement from their colleagues.

Seems to me that an experienced professional examined the area and recommended his advice to the diplomatic individuals in charge.

One thing Bikeportland.org is teaching me is to be more involved.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
Thats awesome wsbob!

We must all understand where the City's Planner is coming from when they cannot give you a direct answer on the spot. Their comments are being recorded and quoted without backing and advisement from their colleagues.

Seems to me that an experienced professional examined the area and recommended his advice to the diplomatic individuals in charge.

One thing Bikeportland.org is teaching me is to be more involved.
DMC..., you got it. Relative to a big metropolis like Portland, Beaverton isn't a very big city, but it still has bureaucratic structure, chain of command, protocol issues to contend with as part of getting anything done. I think that's right that city officials...I'll say...good city officials...want to be careful not to make rash judgments and wind up doing some stupid thing that wastes a bunch of taxpayer money.

Every Beaverton city official I talked with was decent and responsive. That includes planners Margaret Middleton and Jabra Kasho, public works guys Terry Priest and Kevin Azar. The citizen volunteers on the Beaverton Bike Advisory Committee were very receptive and supportive too. (The BBAC is where I went first to get directions on how to proceed with the issue.)

Those of us that are citizen residents-road users though....(I suppose that includes about everybody in some form or another.); we have a tendency, when we see something that needs being worked on, to want to have it done Now!, which often doesn't, or can't happen, as in the case of this particular catch basin. The city officials were basically fine. It's just that the vehicle they're part of can only go so fast.
I hope that regular citizens out here in Beaverton will pay more attention than they may currently be, to the effectiveness of certain key street routes likely to be used for travel by bike. These street routes aren't that hard to pick out, either by physically riding them, or checking out maps.

Since the number of people that ride in Beaverton is still comparatively small; both to the number that travel by motor vehicle, or even to the number of people that travel by bike on certain key Portland bike routes...I think a lot of the problems for bikes on these routes just may never even be brought up to officials with the city. That can result in bad riding conditions on the affected streets sometimes going on and on and on. Partly from this comes the 'Too dangerous to ride a bike on the street.' common public phobia about traveling by bike.

So yes...everybody: If you see some street problem affecting travel by bike, that you think needs attention, take note of it. Think through what you see to be the problem, and what you consider may be possible solutions to the problem. Write that down. Take what you've got to someone with the city. Be respectful, congenial, but firm. Expect to have to be patient.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Site Admin

In this comment, I'm going to post before and after pics (sorry...this website's quirks won't let unregistered viewers see them.) of the storm grate that was raised from an abruptly low position relative to the roadway grade, to a position level with the roadway grade.

At the first post of this thread, I believe I've posted a link to the picasa web album where the full series of Hall St Bike Lane at the Light Rail Crossing pics can be seen, including these most recent pics.

This pic shows the storm grate before being raised to street grade. Note the abruptly descending lip.

The storm grate, now raised, allowing bike traffic to roll over it without a major jarring result.

The person on the bike's position on the roadway relative to the storm grate and the main travel provides a fairly good illustration of why this improvement was important.

This picture shows the amount of main travel lane roadway width bike traffic has available to ride within when motor vehicles are next to them. There isn't actually a bike lane at this point on Hall Blvd. Bike traffic is entitled to take the lane, but circumstances unique to this stretch of Hall (read earlier comments to learn more about this.) result in bike traffic sometimes being stuck in this narrow section far to the right of the road; thus the need for a storm grate that doesn't pose a danger in crossing over it. Link to the entire series of pics online: Hall Blvd bike lane approaching Light Rail crossing/picasa web/wsbob

Last edited by wsbob; 06-28-2011 at 10:29 PM.