Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2011, 02:48 AM
Site Admin

Default Amplified ride through SE at 2am

Here I sit at 3:45am trying to conjure the words to express my gratitude at being woken by screaming riders and their highly amplified club music slowly wending through my neighborhood at 2am. After spending the whole of Saturday dealing with a sick and puking toddler, it truly was uplifting for my wife and I to be roused and volunteered into participating in your event. Laying in bed for the last hour and a half, I successfully fought off the urge to go back to sleep and miss out on any more of your spontaneous fun; my heart swelled with fondness.

I will surely think of the consideration that you showed all of us as I resume caring for said sick child tomorrow/this morning, no doubt buoyed by the restful notions of late-night camaraderie and joy.

Please do provide your addresses so that I, and others, can someday, spontaneously return the favor and share with you the consideration and kindness that you so unselfishly showed so many sleeping Portlanders tonight.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Site Admin

Sorry to hear your sunny-boy, or girl is under the beautiful weather we're (finally!) having. May they get well soon, and both of you be able toget some rest tonight... .

No idea about whether the late night revelers might have been a semi-organized regularly meeting group of people? Maybe this was just random, flukey kind of thing.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Site Admin

Default Thanks wsbob

He's on the mend. Only one puke today (four yesterday) and he's starting to act more like himself.

My guess is that the ride last night was organized or at the very least spun off of an organized ride. While I did not lay eyes on the group from beginning to end, what I did see, and what I heard, sounded like there were about 50+ riders.

And as my wife said, it wouldn't have been such a big deal if there hadn't been multiple people screaming REALLY loudly, and cranking the "thump, thump, thump" club music well beyond anything a mere boombox would be able to manage. It seemed pretty damn obvious to me that they intended to wake people up. Perhaps people sleeping at 2am are too bourgeois and they fancied themselves enlightened cultural ambassadors. Either that or they were a collection of the most clueless people in Portland.

We've been woken by the midnight mystery ride before and that was no big deal - people talking, ringing bells, there is sweetness to it and certainly no in-your-face intent. And at just after midnight, it's a lot easier to stomach than 2am.

Losing 3 hours of sleep last night due to such inconsiderate people was a bummer on a number of levels. Perhaps someone might read this and reconsider their future endeavors.

Last edited by tonyt; 06-26-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Site Admin

Tonyt, I gotta hand it to you for keeping your cool and writing a funny post about a very inconsiderate situation; seriously, that's a Good Dad Gold Star attitude. I won't say anything else about the sort of behavior of that group 'cuz it wouldn't meet up to your good example, but I am thinking it.