Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Site Admin

Default Kryptonite U Lock Won't Unlock on Rear Rack

I have a apprx 4 year old lock that is locked on my rear rack. It will not unlock, the key hole just turns.

I recall there being a "recall". I think it had to do with being able to actually pick these locks easily, however I wonder if Krytonite would help with a new lock... and get this one off my bike.

Any ideas?

To add. What if you have a older lock and lost the key. I have a Kryptonite cable lock, would hate to just toss it. Can you get a new key, is it worth it to have one made if the manufacture cannot make one?

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Site Admin

Your next step depends on whether you registered your key number or not.

Q: I lost both of my keys, but did register my key number when I purchased the lock. How do I get replacement keys?

A: That's easy! Contact us via email or phone and we will gladly put in a key order with the key number we have on file for you. You can order keys online right now, too. Most keys will ship within one business day of the order. If you are an Action Sports customer you may even be eligible for the Key Safe Program.

Q:I lost both of my keys, didn't register the key number and don't know the key number. How can I get replacement keys?

A: Our locks do not have serial numbers on them so there is no way for us to get replacement keys to you for that lock. If your lock is attached to your bicycle or powersports vehicle consult your local locksmith to remove it.

But, if your U-lock or disc lock is not attached to anything, please contact us via email to see if your lock can be re-keyed.

from: http://www.kryptonitelock.com/CustomerService/FAQ.aspx
Old 06-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Site Admin

Exclamation Kryptonite, not necessarily the best on the market!

Somewhat related to this topic:

I recently found this u-tube vid where he demonstrates that a hollow Bic pen with little effort can be used to break open a cylindrically keyed kryptonite type lock. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-LWGJzglho

Buyer beware!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Site Admin

Default ...but pretty darn good:

"In September 2004, a cyclist learned he could open his tubular cylinder lock using a pen instead of a key and posted this to a forum, not a blog. The story was picked up by bloggers, people posting in forums and the traditional media. Kryptonite researched the allegation, recognized that some (but not all) of the products using tubular cylinders could be opened this way and went to work creating a plan to stand by our customers. Five business days after the post, Kryptonite announced an outline of a plan for a lock exchange program noting that three business days after that the full plan would be in place. Eight business days after the first post, Kryptonite announced its full, free Lock Exchange Program and began taking registrations that day. We began the first exchanges a few weeks later."

-- Donna Tocci, Public Relations Manager for Kryptonite, December 2005

From 2005 on, Kryptonite has used an I-key instead of a tubular key, preventing that Bic pen attack. They're pretty darn good locks, if not the best.