Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Site Admin

Default UPS truck blocking bike lane, sidewalk, by 4412 SW Barbur Blvd.

From the description of the video on youtube:
Quote:
Helmet cam video showing a UPS truck blocking the bike lane and the sidewalk. Taken about 9AM 3/1/2011, 4412 SW Barbur Blvd. just north of Hamilton, Portland, Oregon, USA. Oregon license plate 29355. The speed limit on Barbur here is 35 MPH. Worse still is that there's a perfectly good, empty parking lot right next to where the truck was parked. There's water on the lens because it was raining. I was able to get by because a car in the nearest general purpose lane waited for me.
Here's still pictures showing the license plate and the address of the location:

UPS truck on Barbur near Hamilton blocking bike lane, sidewalk by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

UPS truck blocking bike lane, sidewalk, on Barbur, 2 by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

Last edited by setha; 03-02-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Added the actual youtube link
Old 03-03-2011, 12:26 AM
Site Admin

Default Bus Pushes into BIke Lane, Hillsdale, Portland, Oregon, USA

Here's the description from the video on youtube:

Quote:
This is helmet cam video showing a #54 Trimet bus pushing into the bike lane at about 6360 Capitol in the Hillsdale neighborhood of Portland, Oregon, USA. Taken about 9AM, 3/2/2011. License plate E235920, bus number 2915. I was riding my bicycle in the bike lane; I was forced to stop to let him by.
Here's a still picture of what this looked like:

I talk about this some more in a comment in response to Jonathan's article on talking buses.

Last edited by setha; 03-03-2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Fixed the date; it was 3/2/2011
Old 03-03-2011, 06:26 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by setha View Post
This is helmet cam video showing a #54 Trimet bus pushing into the bike lane at about 6360 Capitol in the Hillsdale neighborhood of Portland, Oregon, USA. Taken about 9AM, 3/3/2011. License plate E235920, bus number 2915. I was riding my bicycle in the bike lane; I was forced to stop to let him by.
wow, that's just plain rude... please email this to TriMet in hopes that they have a talk with the driver about cutting off other vehicles...
Old 03-03-2011, 06:28 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Helmet cam video showing a UPS truck blocking the bike lane and the sidewalk. Taken about 9AM 3/1/2011, 4412 SW Barbur Blvd. just north of Hamilton, Portland, Oregon, USA. Oregon license plate 29355. The speed limit on Barbur here is 35 MPH. Worse still is that there's a perfectly good, empty parking lot right next to where the truck was parked. There's water on the lens because it was raining. I was able to get by because a car in the nearest general purpose lane waited for me.
it's legal for them to park in the bike lane while making deliveries, but are they allowed to park on the sidewalk like that? I didn't think so...
Old 03-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Site Admin

Default Cell phone While Driving License Plate "73-something"

A driver using a cell phone, 5th and Lombard, Beaverton. Here's the description from youtube:

Quote:
SW 5th and Lombard, Beaverton, Oregon, USA. About 4:30PM 2/19/2011. Helmet cam video. Yet another example of how Oregon's no-cell-phone while driving law is being ignored.
Here's some stills from the video:

Driver Using Cell Phone, 5th and Lombard, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, license plate 73-something by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

Driving While Using Cell Phone, license plate "73-something" by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

Here's the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66hHahGd4NA

Last edited by setha; 03-25-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Adding links to flickr photos
Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Site Admin

Default California Rolling Stop, SW Lane and SW Barbur

From the description on youtube:

Quote:
Helmet cam video, from way back on 8/6/2010, sometime in the afternoon or early evening. Look at the black car roll through the stop sign at Lane before turning southbound on Barbur. When a bicyclist does this sort of thing, people complain about bicyclists ignoring stop signs. I was being sarcastic when I said to the camera, "There's a full and complete stop."
Here's the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glejHRo3lG8
Old 03-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Site Admin

Quote:

I talk about this some more in a comment in response to Jonathan's article on talking buses.
I've had a problem with that same route number. It has gotten to the point when I play hop-scotch with Trimet, I take the lane without reservation. These guys are insane!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Site Admin

Quote:

my face hurts from smiling for so long.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Site Admin

Default Lexus SUV Runs Red Light, SW Scholls Ferry Road and SW Laurelwood

I caught a Lexus SUV rolling a red light at SW Scholls Ferry Road and SW Laurelwood on my helmet cam. Here's some stills from the video.

Lexus SUV, Passing me, who's Driver a Short While later Runs a Red Light by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

Lexus SUV, which Just Passed me, Approaches a Now Amber Traffic Light by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

Lexus SUV in Intersection on Red Traffic Light by pdxcommuter, on Flickr
Old 04-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Site Admin

Default Car Uses Bicycle Lane/Bus Stop as Right Turn Lane

When I participated on the BTA legislative committee a few years ago, they pushed for allowing cars to use the bicycle lane as a right turn lane. I was not comfortable with that idea. Since then I like it even less. After what happened in this video, I really don't like it.

This is helmet cam video from about 8:45 AM, 4/21/2011, SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway eastbound at SW 30th. The driver of a car with Oregon plates 668 ESM decided to use the bicycle lane/bus stop as a right turn lane. Here are some stills from the video:

upload_668_esm_closeup_of_plate2 by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

upload_car_uses_bike_lane_for_right_turn_lane_bh_d osch0433 by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

upload_car_uses_bike_lane_for_right_turn_lane_bh_d osch0454 by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

upload_car_uses_bike_lane_for_right_turn_lane_bh_d osch0661 by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

Tags
bicycle lane, left hook, portland oregon usa, right hook, smidsy/smidgaf