Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Site Admin

Gee, since I posted that, I got a JOB (contract, but hey after 17 months of no job) at Intel Ronler Acres. Guess how I'm getting there? I really do prefer Evergreen-Cornell-158th-Waterhouse-{through the THPRD facility to Pioneer} over Baseline-Jenkins. I commuted home from Tektronix on Jenkins-Walker-through the Cedar Hills neighborhood, and I didn't like the left turn off Jenkins to Ecole, even though there is a left turn lane, because Jenkins backs up and drivers DRIVE WEST THROUGH THE LEFT TURN LANE OMG! I DARN NEAR DIED ONE NIGHT!

Also, the left turn across Walker onto Filmont is doable when traffic is heavy, not so much when traffic is light. I don't want to stay on Walker eastbound any longer, because it becomes very narrow with ditches just east of Cedar Hills. I'd just go up Park Way instead. Builds character.

I have no issues at all with Evergreen-Cornell, even at rush hour. Bike lanes the whole way, intelligently designed eastbound bike lane at the 158th intersection (I turn right and stay far left, because that's where I'm turning) Nicer than Baseline in terms of overall traffic level.

In the mornings I ride to the MAX at Sunset TC, take the MAX to Orenco, then ride the last bit. I ride all the way home.

Krispy Kreme is not a distraction. The various burger joints and Asian restaurants on the Tanasbourne shopping center and along Cornell really smell enticing on the way home. I'm hungry

Friend G likes to ride Cornell-Amberglen-Walker-Park Way. Not so much for me, because Evergreen is much closer for me (she's at total other end of the complex), and it includes those two stretches of Walker Rd with the narrow bridges.

Sooo if you see someone on a Rivendell Bleriot with hammered metal fenders, say hi!

Last edited by lynnef; 04-02-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Site Admin

Congrats on the new job, Lynne! I'll be at the Jones Farm campus, but we'll likely cross paths at some point. I ride a Salsa Casseroll.

For future reference, here is the route to Intel Jones Farm from PDX Goose Hollow via the Sunset MUP and Jenkins-Baseline, taking the route I think is best for me so far:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...27027212375780

You'll notice after going through the Nike campus I actually back-track a bit. That's to avoid an uphill left turn at a traffic light that seemed pretty awkward when I did it last time. Swapping situations like that out for a little extra distance but with right turns is a trick I've learned when picking bike routes.

Scott

Last edited by zpl; 04-02-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Site Admin

That's pretty much the route I would recommend.

Never done the section 10; I found a little niche in the wall across from Nike. If you cross Walker at Park Way and go through the residential part, the opening back onto Murrey is right there [it's a like a zig-zag through the wall]. It is easiest to find it from the Murrey side.

I won't speak for the intersections during commute hours though. Never done it.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Smile Thanks for the ride Scott...

I hope things go well at the new job. I hope you find a working route for your commute.

All The Best!
K'Tesh
Old 05-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
Gee, since I posted that, I got a JOB (contract, but hey after 17 months of no job) at Intel Ronler Acres. Guess how I'm getting there? I really do prefer Evergreen-Cornell-158th-Waterhouse-{through the THPRD facility to Pioneer} over Baseline-Jenkins. I commuted home from Tektronix on Jenkins-Walker-through the Cedar Hills neighborhood, and I didn't like the left turn off Jenkins to Ecole, even though there is a left turn lane, because Jenkins backs up and drivers DRIVE WEST THROUGH THE LEFT TURN LANE OMG! I DARN NEAR DIED ONE NIGHT!

Also, the left turn across Walker onto Filmont is doable when traffic is heavy, not so much when traffic is light. I don't want to stay on Walker eastbound any longer, because it becomes very narrow with ditches just east of Cedar Hills. I'd just go up Park Way instead. Builds character.

I have no issues at all with Evergreen-Cornell, even at rush hour. Bike lanes the whole way, intelligently designed eastbound bike lane at the 158th intersection (I turn right and stay far left, because that's where I'm turning) Nicer than Baseline in terms of overall traffic level.

In the mornings I ride to the MAX at Sunset TC, take the MAX to Orenco, then ride the last bit. I ride all the way home.

Krispy Kreme is not a distraction. The various burger joints and Asian restaurants on the Tanasbourne shopping center and along Cornell really smell enticing on the way home. I'm hungry

Friend G likes to ride Cornell-Amberglen-Walker-Park Way. Not so much for me, because Evergreen is much closer for me (she's at total other end of the complex), and it includes those two stretches of Walker Rd with the narrow bridges.

Sooo if you see someone on a Rivendell Bleriot with hammered metal fenders, say hi!
I am working contract there too... I just finally started commuting again and was unhappy when the gaurd shack told me i couldn't take my bike inside the gate even thouh my company has a a trailer i can store my bike in. Are you chaining yours up outside?

FWIW to anyone, i ride out from SW Portland and use Jenkins to baseline to 170th to Cornell to Evergreen. That ride is very easy... just wish i could get from Western Ave. to Canyon in a more relaxed route.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Site Admin

I lock mine up to the rack outside. I'm working in RA1; no fence or guard shack.

Western to Canyon - actually, if your intermediate goal is Jenkins...

Try
Western
R on 109th
CROSS Canyon, becomes 110th
L on Cabot, becomes Center (I think you'll pass K'Tesh's apartment complex there somewhere)
R on Hall
CROSS Cedar Hills, go through the shopping center and
R on Hocken
L on Jenkins (there is a traffic light there)
Old 05-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
I lock mine up to the rack outside. I'm working in RA1; no fence or guard shack.

Western to Canyon - actually, if your intermediate goal is Jenkins...

Try
Western
R on 109th
CROSS Canyon, becomes 110th
L on Cabot, becomes Center (I think you'll pass K'Tesh's apartment complex there somewhere)
R on Hall
CROSS Cedar Hills, go through the shopping center and
R on Hocken
L on Jenkins (there is a traffic light there)
yea... been using Cabot... just wish there was a way to navigate home from Cabot to Allen that didnt involve riding down Beaverton/Hillsdale or Western for that matter... Western can get pretty hairy. I am using Arctic to go through the business park, but still...

FWIW, on the commute to intel, I do prefer taking a right off of Center one intersection prior to Hall.. then travelling up to ____ (Fairfield?) and then crossing Cedar Hills Blvd. at Winco, then on to Jenkins. it might be a few feet farther but it seems to have a whole lot less traffic.

Thanks for the response.

Scott
Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Site Admin

Ah, but there IS a way to get from Cabot to Allen that does not include riding on Beaverton Hillsdale.

Cabot heading east
R on SW 110th
L on SW Canyon
R on SW 107th
OR
L on SW 110th
R on SW 108th
L on SW Sunnyhill
R on SW 106th
R on SW Canyon
L on SW 107th

THEN
continue across Beaverton Hillsdale into the office complex.
Go around the office buildings on the left; turn left onto SW 5th
R onto Western.

Easier to see if you put Google Maps on Satellite.