Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Site Admin

The middle of nowhere isn't so bad, if you're prepared for it. Might not be a great route to do alone though, or when snow threatens the passes.

Look at some of the XC stuff they're doing in Alaska. It involves pack rafts and bear spray.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
The middle of nowhere isn't so bad, if you're prepared for it. Might not be a great route to do alone though, or when snow threatens the passes.

Look at some of the XC stuff they're doing in Alaska. It involves pack rafts and bear spray.
Uh..... no thanks!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Site Admin

Your loss

My mtb has the rack and panniers. My commuter does not.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
Dro, pretty sure there's no pavement due west of Cherry Grove. You can hop a gate and ride up a few miles past Lees Falls on a good dirt road, but it turns into a slot canyon. There are ways through, where you can come out on the Trask River Rd. (paved up to the county park about 15 miles east of Tillamook), but none paved and reportedly some very rough going, and very sparse signing.

The nearest paved through routes through the coast range are Hwy 6 to the north, and the Nestucca River Road (out of Carlton) to the south. the Nestucca route is really nice, very low traffic. There's about 2 miles unpaved midway, but very manageable.
Jeff... "reportedly" ... . So it sounds as though you haven't personally gone the Cherry Grove to Trask River Rd route. A lot of people like a challenge. I would think there's a business opportunity for those with the know-how and initiative to put together guided, supplied tours through the back country.

Many years ago, my dad took me fishing in the Trask. I don't remember a lot about the trip to it. It's great though, to realize that Willamette Valley residents have something like this so close by.

Carlton is off my map. Looks like I need another.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Site Admin

ws, you're entirely right, i haven't ridden it -- it is an intriguing looking route between the Trask Rd. through to... well, somewhere south of Cherry Grove or...? I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it, it would be a great exploration indeed. But one should be aware -- according to my source -- that it's some very rough country with rough roads to match, and seemingly not marked at all, lots of dead end logging roads, etc. Compass, maps, and a preparedness for a bivouac would be essential.

I'd love to hear a report back!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbob View Post
Jeff... "reportedly" ... . So it sounds as though you haven't personally gone the Cherry Grove to Trask River Rd route. A lot of people like a challenge. I would think there's a business opportunity for those with the know-how and initiative to put together guided, supplied tours through the back country.

Many years ago, my dad took me fishing in the Trask. I don't remember a lot about the trip to it. It's great though, to realize that Willamette Valley residents have something like this so close by.

Carlton is off my map. Looks like I need another.
I have spent significant time on the backroads in Washington Co. by car and I can tell you Jeff is right... and add to that possibility of logging trucks, hunters, and other wild and crazy people ralleying the backroads, you will remain on alert between incidents.

I love the idea about setting up guided routes in rural Washington Co. Opportunities abound but interest wanes. It is some beautiful countryside however! Lots of elevation changes to be prepared for.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Site Admin

this route looks fun. I have been eying a route slightly south of this that starts in Yamhill and ends at the trask river road. This looks like it would be a great route back to the valley. Oh and mtb tires are not needed for dirt and gravel. just watch any cyclocross race this next fall. A larger volume tire makes the ride more comfortable but as long as you have sufficient tire pressure so as to not pinch flat for your given tire width you will be fine. I do most of my non paved road riding on my surly long haul trucker with 1.5" schwalbe marathons and they work just fine. Figure this trip to be a two day tour with the possibility of a third day if the going is harder than anticipated and pack accordingly. This sounds less risky than other backcountry trips that i have done. Oh and if there is a road it is not backcountry.
Now all i need is a weekend of dry weather and a weekend off of work. Thanks for the idea.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Site Admin

Okay, so I may have over emphasised the MTB tires... I love the marathons and yes, these are quite sufficient for any terrain. I was warning about 700-c23 at 120psi. Not only will you loose your teeth but you might loose a few screws on your ride as well.

backĚcounĚtry (bkkntr)
n.
A sparsely inhabited rural region.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Site Admin

I've driven several routes from Cherry Grove out to the coast when exploring in our Jeep a few years ago (I miss that Jeep)... The routes I took started off with pavement but always devolved into hard pack with occational new layers of loose gravel covering rutted areas. Get a really good hard copy map of the TSF - look for one with all the 4x4 trails. The roads criss-cross all over back there and one could get turned around in a hurry if you're not careful - there are very few road signs just forks splitting off here and there.

Don't relie on a solid GPS signal either. The pine needles are just the right length to play havic with reception for the GPS and most 2-way radios. Cel signals are non-existant roughly 1/3 of the way into the coastal range.

Keep your head up and ears open, because this is cougar country. Don'tsweat the bears -they will keep their distance. Cougars - mostly the young males - may see you as a possible snack. We've seen more and more cougars every year. Acouple years ago, two young (teens) cougars walked through our camp between the tent and the fire pit. Never had an issue with the coyotes - except at dusk but you should be out of the woods long before sun down.

Check with rangers as to the conditions up there before you go find out if all the snow is gone from the high points of your route.

Bring a camera because it is spectacular and the views are incredible. If you're quiet and observant, you will see wildlife.