Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2010, 07:02 AM
Site Admin

Default The beach via Cherry Grove

I went onto the new Google map maker that has the bike routes available. Very good! Anyway, I was routed from my house in Washington County through Gaston and then to Cherry Grove, then up the coast range. It looks like it's all paved. Has anyone used this route? Have anything to say about it? Good roads? Thanks.

DR
Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Site Admin

Kinda off topic, but needs to be stated I think.

Just a comment on computer generated routes from google, mapquest, or yahoo... be very suspicious of the routes created through the hill country. As seen from recent examples that have made it to the media – even car routes can leave some stranded, which has sometimes lead to fatal results. See James Kim for evidence, and there have been several other examples as well. The routes can often times lead someone through the mountains away from local resources. If you go, whether by bicycle or car, be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Often times, those routes will lead you away from vital resources that would have been readily available had you have chosen a more popular route. Use google, but it should in no way be a replacement for the big folding paper maps and a compass, which everyone who’s traveling should know how to use in conjunction with a good map of the region. Be able to orient yourself using said compass and map.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Site Admin

bikerinNE...excellent point! I've got the Washington County 'Country Cycling' map. With the exception of a few small complaints...a great map to have, though presently out of print. It shows parts of, as you refer to it, 'the hill country; an area between the points north to Hwy 26 and beyond...about 10 miles south of Hagg Lake...and 10 miles west into the hills. According to this map the hills are laced with roads, but they're all gravel with the exception of Hwy 26 and what I'm guessing might be the Wilson River Hwy (could be it starts out as Gales Creek Rd).

Suitably equipped, I'd love to go out and explore by bike, some of the country those roads pass through, but I'd be very careful before I did. The map doesn't show that there's anything even remotely like a village or even a store out there. I suppose some of the land is timber company owned, but who actually might live out there is something I wouldn't know about, and it certainly can't be determined by this pretty good map. People could ride up there, have a problem and have who knows how hard a time getting back out.

Who would a person contact to find out about route advisability out and up through the hills? Probably someone in the county offices. Maybe contact the Washington County Department of Land Use and Transportation Planning Division? It had a hand in creating this great map I have. Report back here. Most likely, other people would also like to know more about the situation related to routes up through the hills.

Last edited by wsbob; 03-14-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Site Admin

I have an incling of recollection that I once owned one of those Wash-Co maps.
If I find it, I could look into scanning it at full scale and post the pages.

The routes here on the west side heading into the hills can really get you turned around and utterly lost. It is very hilly and more and more, gated [not that this will stop a bike]. Eventually you will be dumped out on US 26 or US6 or wind up in Timber. I would definitely be sporting some MTB tires.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosen View Post
I went onto the new Google map maker that has the bike routes available. Very good! Anyway, I was routed from my house in Washington County through Gaston and then to Cherry Grove, then up the coast range. It looks like it's all paved. Has anyone used this route? Have anything to say about it? Good roads? Thanks.

DR
What did you plug in for destination?
Old 03-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
What did you plug in for destination?
I plugged in my home address to Pacific City. I think I may have to make it a day trip to PC to see how it is. I'll take motion-sickness pills as it's a pretty windy route.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
I have an incling of recollection that I once owned one of those Wash-Co maps.
If I find it, I could look into scanning it at full scale and post the pages.

The routes here on the west side heading into the hills can really get you turned around and utterly lost. It is very hilly and more and more, gated [not that this will stop a bike]. Eventually you will be dumped out on US 26 or US6 or wind up in Timber. I would definitely be sporting some MTB tires.
This last time I went to the Beaverton Bike Advisory Council, I recall a member mentioning that a Beaverton bike map was going to published again soon. Whether the mention was in regards to the Washington County map I earlier referred to, I can't say for sure.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Site Admin

Don't go through Cherry Grove. It is surrounded by nothing. If you want to get to Pacific City, there's much better ways. The Reach the Beach route is pretty good, and you are really never in the middle of nowhere, except going over the Coast Range.

I recommend Forest Grove-Gaston-Dayton-Amity-Ballston-Sheridan-Willamina-Grand Ronde-Little Nestucca Hwy-Pacific City. Real roads, occasional other people, and cell phone coverage.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Site Admin

Default pavement?

Dro, pretty sure there's no pavement due west of Cherry Grove. You can hop a gate and ride up a few miles past Lees Falls on a good dirt road, but it turns into a slot canyon. There are ways through, where you can come out on the Trask River Rd. (paved up to the county park about 15 miles east of Tillamook), but none paved and reportedly some very rough going, and very sparse signing.

The nearest paved through routes through the coast range are Hwy 6 to the north, and the Nestucca River Road (out of Carlton) to the south. the Nestucca route is really nice, very low traffic. There's about 2 miles unpaved midway, but very manageable.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Site Admin

Jeff, thanks for the info. I have ridden most every way to Pacific City- through Carlton to Beaver (the toughest route by far, at least for me), The RTB route, through Tillamook, all of them. This was a new route that I had never heard of. I appreciate the warnings of the roads.