Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2010, 05:31 AM
Site Admin

Cool Scappoose-Vernonia-Banks Bike Trail

I know they are working on the realignment of a road in Banks which will open a spot for an end parking area (with stables) so that the Bank-Vernonia Linear Trail can actually come all the way into the downtown edge of Banks. I am no sure of their timeline though. Anyone got a word on it?

I see that the Crown-Zellerbach Trail is open (though not officially) - this is a 25 mile linear bike/equestrian/walk trail using an abandoned train track up from Scappoose into Vernonia.

Tied together there will be a 60 mile route up from the Willamette River to the City of Banks.

There's also the Vernonia Bike Skills Park - the ONLY one like it in the state. It's got many cutting edge design features, especially regarding bike skills and "Technical Trail Features".

Anyone ride the CZ trail yet?
Do you know the how it faired the flood and this past winter?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Site Admin

I was unaware of this trail until your post but I plan to check out Scappoose to Vernonia soon and will report. But what are you thinking as Willamette to Scappoose connector, hiway 30?

"Tied together there will be a 60 mile route up from the Willamette River to the City of Banks."

Sounds more like a 40 mile route from Columbia River to Banks.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Site Admin

Default cz trail report

Friday rode Scappoose to Banks via "trail System". CZ trail from Scappoose is not for the faint of heart. 2 off road stream crossings, many gates and "Private Property No Trespassing" signs, mainly uphill, with one steeper long section, no support facilities along the way and the trail ends 5 miles short of Vernonia requiring the last 5 miles on a very narrow highway 47. The No Trespassing signs appeared old and from what I read on line the land is now public property thus essentially voiding the signs. Much of the trail is packed gravel in good shape, so except for the stream crossings, pretty decent ride. I did it on my mountain bike with 26x1.9 smoothies. For me it was a fun adventure but again not for the faint of heart. I then biked Banks to Hillsboro and took max to Portland and biked to Scappoose to retrieve my car. Silly me , since I don't ride this bike much I didn't realize the pump and patch kit were with my other bike so I made the trip without. I flatted on Wilkesboro road (I think I was in ROY but forgot my map, so was kind of lost) and was lucky to meet a fellow rider (from Austin Texas) who helped me out. Thanks and good Karma wishes to him. Will post pictures later.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Site Admin

Default Banks trail report

Also need to mention there were a few off road sections of CZ trail where trail was wiped out by some mud slides. This is a former logging road and much of the surrounding forest has been clear cut with some young trees from replanting. Also I rode Banks Vernonia trail all the way into Banks. Sign says trail closed but if you push on it is rideable going over downed trees and branches but the last 100 yards they have not yet removed railway ties so it got a bit bumpy eventually requiring me to walk the last 25 yards. I don't recommend it but for me it beat riding on narrow hiway 47 which parallels the trail here.