Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Site Admin

Default Barbur Blvd to Sellwood

I need a new route home from Allstar Fitness (the old Y club) on SW Barbur Blvd. to Sellwood. I'd like to avoid going all the way back into town to cross the Hawthorne Bridge. Anybody know a good way to get down to the westside bike trail from Barbur? I rode south on Barbur last night aiming for Corbett but the bike lane ends without warning where two lanes of traffic merge on the right. Almost got killt.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Site Admin

Default Heh.

I know how to get there, but there's no good way. I'd say go east on Hooker (the little street on the south end of the Y) down to 1st. Left on 1st down to Arthur (7-11 on your right). If you've got the nerve, go right on Arthur and take the left lane, Corbett will be on your left a block or so after you go under Naito just past the 7-11. It's really dodgy, though.

Instead of taking the lane there, I'd cross Arthur and take the northside sidewalk - be really careful where you come out under the overpass and need to cross - cars are flying from the Ross Island bridge on their way to Naito there and will mow you down. Go straight across and hop the sidewalk on the other side and carry on straight. Corbett will be where your road ends in a T. Take a left, go downhill and turn right at the bottom of the hill and you'll be on your way to South Waterfront. Does that make sense?

Otherwise you can go part of the way back downtown and turn right at Harrison and go all the way to South Waterfront alongside the streetcar. Once you cross Naito on Harrison, you have a bike lane the rest of the way.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Site Admin

Oh, and also... the bike lane doesn't there on Barbur, it diverts up onto a sidewalk to take you around all those merging lanes of cars and then dumps you back onto Barbur after that mess is behind you. You must've missed the turn off...
Old 03-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Site Admin

Thanks, I totally missed the sidewalk. I've done Harrison, but was hoping for a more southerly route on Barbur. I may give Barbur another try or attempt the Arthur gauntlet. It's got to be the least bike-friendly area of downtown.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Site Admin

Go south on Barbur as discussed above.

Turn left at Hamilton (major intersection with stoplight) either using the left-turn lane or the crosswalk.

Go down hill 2 blocks to Corbett. Turn right on Corbett. Go down long hill to flashing stop light at Boundary and turn left. Cross Macadam at the light and pick up the greenway trail in this area.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstabe View Post
Thanks, I totally missed the sidewalk. I've done Harrison, but was hoping for a more southerly route on Barbur. I may give Barbur another try or attempt the Arthur gauntlet. It's got to be the least bike-friendly area of downtown.
Oh, yeah, it's bike hostile around here. I live about 300 feet from the old Y and I could describe a couple of other complicated ways to Corbett - I've even learned to pretend to enjoy the Ross Island Bridge just because every other way over is so far out of the way sometimes. But Barbur will be good (enough) when you don't miss that turn off. It's ugly for pedestrians around here, too.

Tags
barbur, route, sellwood