Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up 2010 West Side Bicycle Clinics

I haven't seen a thread like this, so I wanted to get one started.

Heading into the new year, since I'm now dependent on my bicycle (goodbye car) I wanted to find out what bicycle maintenance/repair clinics are available on the west side?

Personally I'm interested in classes that deal with things like general bike overhauls (more than "here's how to fix your flat"), but I thought a general thread on various clinics is called for. Searching Google, I came across a few classes in Portland (mostly in NE) but anything on the west side would be much better for me (since I'm in Hillsboro).

Last edited by DarkStar; 01-20-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to setup signature.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Site Admin

Darkstar, check this website out. Looks like it may have what you're looking for. The center is on TV Highway in an office/multi-use suite complex near Harvey's Marine (the big bunny). I've been there just once. Down to earth, dedicated people.

Frans Pauwels Memorial Community Bicycle Center/Washington County Bike Transportation Coalition
Old 01-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Site Admin

Yeah, I came across the WCBTC website before, however they don't list any classes. Are they non-advertised?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Site Admin

Checked their event calender...you're right...didn't see any classes listed, though, you probably noticed the following sentence in a paragraph on the home page:

"...The center offers classes focused on motorists and bicyclists sharing the road, pointers for the everyday commuter, and classes in advanced bicycle maintenance and handling skills. ..."

It does say 'classes in advanced bicycle maintenance'. Maybe not a formal community college type of class, but I'd say the odds are good you could go there and learn for little, possibly no money if you were able to offer some time as a volunteer. Costs nothing to stop by and check it out.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Site Admin

Lightbulb try bike gallery

It's still a ways from hillsboro, but try the Bike Gallery Beaverton location.
They list some clinics on their website:
http://www.bikegallery.com/clinics.php (although, all the dates listed are currently in the past).
I'm not sure if they have everything you're looking for, so I recommend contacting them to see what the future schedule is, and what sort of things you could learn.

edit to add: if you're really looking for the more in depth stuff on how to overhaul you're bike, you'll probably need more than a free clinic at a shop. Look into the Gracie's Wrench classes, which usually get great reviews.

Last edited by hemp22; 01-21-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemp22 View Post
It's still a ways from hillsboro, but try the Bike Gallery Beaverton location.
They list some clinics on their website:
http://www.bikegallery.com/clinics.php (although, all the dates listed are currently in the past).
I'm not sure if they have everything you're looking for, so I recommend contacting them to see what the future schedule is, and what sort of things you could learn.

edit to add: if you're really looking for the more in depth stuff on how to overhaul you're bike, you'll probably need more than a free clinic at a shop. Look into the Gracie's Wrench classes, which usually get great reviews.
Hey! Good one hemp22 ! I'd forgotten about the BG's clinics. Your mention reminded me of a short review of one of those classes posted here in the forums by forum member Phillip P back in November:

Flat Tire Repair and Basic Bicycle Maintenance at Bike Gallery
Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Site Admin

Default Westside Bike Repair Clinics

REI in Hillsboro may also have clinics coming up, but they are more basic 'fix-a-flat' clinics.

The Frans Pauwels Memorial Community Bicycle Center on TV Hwy will be offering two types of classes starting Tuesday March 2nd at 6PM during our Volunteer Only night. For the first 15 minutes each Tuesday, following the Park Tool School curricula volunteers will learn the basics of repairs and adjustments so they get to do more than tear bikes down for recycling (and we have plenty of 'em).

We are recruiting experienced bike mechanics to volunteer one night a week (or one night a month if we could get 4 of them) to teach the more in depth classes you seek, but currently our master mechanic, Dirk Pauwels, former owner of Kissler's Bicycles in Beaverton, is only available to us on Saturdays and he is busy effecting repairs on bikes brought in by customers during the week needing those in-depth repairs and overhauls.

If you know of anyone, while we can't pay them (yet), the benefit they provide to the community would be priceless.

Hal & the ROU
Region 6 Coach, LCI 815
League of American Bicyclists
"I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle"~Zen proverb

Tags
bicycle, bike, maintenance, repair, westside