Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Site Admin

Default Oregon City to 21st and Columbia Blvd

My wife and I have been looking at houses in Oregon City, right above down town, and there's no way I'm driving that commute to work.

Here's the general route I'm thinking of...

River Rd
to
Sellwood
to
Possibly onto the Springwater trail
or
Through town on surface streets
to
15th (already ride 15th to work)
then
onto work

Something like 18-20 miles

Obviously there are a few connectors that need to be made that I did not list, but what I'd like to know, is there a bike friendly route from Oregon City to the Clackamas Towncenter Max Station? Or even the 205 bike path? I do not mind fighting traffic occasionally, but don't want to do it day in and day out.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Site Admin

I did this route on Saturday in a clockwise direction:

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=ldxhyfyibnganftc

Clackamas River Dr. would be a beautiful commuting route, but riding through the endless strip malls and glass-strewn bike lanes of Sunnyside would make me want to gouge my eyes out if I had to do it daily.

Keep in mind the bridge between Oregon City and West Linn is going to become inaccessible for *two years* starting early next year.

My wife and I are frustrated that we can't afford to buy a house where we want to in Portland, but rather than doing the exodus to suburbia we're renting in a highly walkable and bikeable neighborhood and investing a little bit every month.

Scott
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Site Admin

Thumbs up to Clackamas TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
...but what I'd like to know, is there a bike friendly route from Oregon City to the Clackamas Towncenter Max Station? Or even the 205 bike path?
here's the route map on Bikely :

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-Rd-in-the-O-C

It's pretty nice (rode it again Sat.) -- the 82nd Ave bike lane stretch is no particular fun, and the x-ings of I-205 are a little hairy (watch the on-ramps!) but otherwise a decent ride. The back road into the OC (Agnes St.?) may now be closed, but the path through the park along the south side of the Clackamas River lagoon will get you there...
Old 11-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Site Admin

Default Max?

Don't forget the new max line starts at Clackamas Town Center, if you can get there then just take max to the Parkrose/Sumner TC and then, uh, somehow get to 21st & Columbia, maybe via Killingsworth? I'm not as familiar with that part of town. I'm pretty sure you don't want to ride your bike on Columbia Blvd

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it...
Old 11-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Site Admin

Thanks for the tips.

ZPL, Have you checked out Oregon City? The town itself is pretty nice, not the stuff once you get on top of the hill, but the area just above town. I'm not really into suburbia either, but we like this.

Bikieboy, Thanks, that is the route I'm looking for. I'll have to give it a try before we get to serious about moving.

Kenl666, The new max line is why I was looking for a route from Oregon City to Clackamas, for those days a 20 mile ride to work doesn't sound appealing. And I agree with you on Columbia Blvd...I work on Columbia Blvd and ride a short section on the sidewalk, even that is sketchy sometimes.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
Thanks for the tips.

Kenl666, The new max line is why I was looking for a route from Oregon City to Clackamas, for those days a 20 mile ride to work doesn't sound appealing. And I agree with you on Columbia Blvd...I work on Columbia Blvd and ride a short section on the sidewalk, even that is sketchy sometimes.
oh snap, I didn't even see you mention the clackamas max in your original post, just call me Capt. Obvious... or Oblivious...