Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2006, 07:39 AM
Site Admin

Default Need for a good eastside North/South bike route...

There seems to be an absence of a good (i.e. safe and bikelaned) North/South route on the east side of Portland that addresses the I84/Sandy crossing and then some...

This seems to be backed up by after reading some comments in the forums and the recent blog post about the cyclist that got hit at NE 28th near FredMeyer.

Two part question:

1. What are preferred North/South routes on the east-side?
In general I like riding 11th and 12th since they are one-way trafficked streets. But riding around LloydCenter is a pain.

2. Is a contiguous North/South eastside bike lane a priority for BTA or city bike planners?
Looking at the BTA website, it's on their "other-projects" list but not on their top-ten radar. Is this a top-ten worthy issue? From the volume of riders I see riding north-south, I think it might be.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Site Admin

I used to cross that intersection (28&Bdwy) twice a day before there was a Freddy's there and it was a piece o' cake... Just wait at the stop sign for an opportunity and go. Maybe using that tactic a block or two west would be easier than the current set-up. I would sometimes use 16th/15th from Broadway to Killingsworth... north of there, 15th was a little skinny for my taste. South of I-84, I used 28th (jump over to 30th from Stark to Lincoln) when I lived near Reed and worked near Em. hosp. Sometimes I would take 20th, but 28th was better.

BTA has something in the works for the 50's and the 70's but that is a long way east of 28th.
You can read more about it HERE and
HERE

Bill

Last edited by BillD; 10-06-2006 at 07:33 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
Old 10-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Site Admin

from inner SE up to alberta, i normally take 16th going north, then make a left after the i84 overpass, then take 7th the rest of the way.

dunno if this helps... i also like to take 20th across i84. :B
Old 10-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-On-Bike View Post
There seems to be an absence of a good (i.e. safe and bikelaned) North/South route on the east side of Portland that addresses the I84/Sandy crossing and then some...

This seems to be backed up by after reading some comments in the forums and the recent blog post about the cyclist that got hit at NE 28th near FredMeyer.

Two part question:

1. What are preferred North/South routes on the east-side?
In general I like riding 11th and 12th since they are one-way trafficked streets. But riding around LloydCenter is a pain.

2. Is a contiguous North/South eastside bike lane a priority for BTA or city bike planners?
Looking at the BTA website, it's on their "other-projects" list but not on their top-ten radar. Is this a top-ten worthy issue? From the volume of riders I see riding north-south, I think it might be.
The route I know is the I205 bike path. It runs from Killingsworth and Sandy blvd. The max station, takes you south to gateway transit center, then continues all the way south to the clackamas town center. it runs behind the wall and drops you off at every major cross street. Glisan, Burnside, Stark st., Market, Steele, Foster, etc... and it is a dedicated bike lane. It's the same bike path that takes you across the 205 bridge into Vancouver.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Site Admin

I've had good success with the 40's bike boulevard. You hit some traffic going through Hollywood and the I-84 crossing can be a bit of a hassle. But, it seems pretty safe and low-traffic otherwise.

Any N/S route will have one or two bad intersections, even the I-205 bike lane. So name your poison...