Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Site Admin

Default bus service? PDX to Astoria?

my buddy arrives at PDX airport 8/11 in the morning with his recumbent and BOB trailer all boxed up.

we are looking for a service to shuttle us to Astoria that morning.

any ideas?

thanks....d
Old 07-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Site Admin

There is a guy in Portland who started a small business this year offering SAG/shuttle services for cyclists. He charges by the mile.

Let's see...some quick Googling brought this up - I think this is him:

http://www.portlandsagwagon.com

Scott
Old 07-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpl View Post
There is a guy in Portland who started a small business this year offering SAG/shuttle services for cyclists. He charges by the mile.

Let's see...some quick Googling brought this up - I think this is him:

http://www.portlandsagwagon.com

Scott
awesome!

thank you
d-
Old 07-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Site Admin

There is a normal bus, it might be run by Amtrak?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Site Admin

amtrak goes there but the bus is only once a day about 6pm costs about 40.00
Old 07-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Site Admin

Default bus to astoria

amtrak goes there, leaves the train station at 620pm and arrives in astoria around 835pm. ticket is 18 bucks one way. the bus will take hwy 26 stopping at cannon beach, seaside, warrenton fred meyers, astoria mini mart and astoria transit center.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Site Admin

If you take the Amtrak bus to Astoria, you can always stop in Seaside and stay at the hostel there: http://www.seasidehostel.net/ (the bus actually drops you off right in front of the hostel!) Then you could get up the next morn and take city buses to Seaside or ride the 20 miles.

I don't know of any other bus/shuttle service that goes to Astoria earlier than the Amtrak bus. There is a bus that goes to Tillamook, which is further south down the coast from Astoria (about 70 miles or so). Buses leave at 10:30 am and 3:15pm from the Amtrak station. They have bike racks on the front, but I don't know how they'd deal with a recumbent. You might be able to ask the bus driver to bring it on board (I've seen the driver allow bikes on board when the rack fills up). http://www.tillamookbus.com/
Old 08-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Site Admin

the tillamook bus has other buses that you can make a connection with that do work their way up north along the coast. again, you will have to call or visit the tillamook bus website to get the details. clatsop county (seaside/astoria) have buses that go further south than cannon beach last time i was down there using their bus system bout 5 yrs ago, dunno if they still do or not. think they have a website, i will have to surf google for it and get it posted for you later.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
the tillamook bus has other buses that you can make a connection with that do work their way up north along the coast.
True, though I don't know if it would be worth it. Looking into it more, it would work like this:
The earliest bus from Portland to Tillamook is leaves Portland Union Station at 10:30 am, arrives in Tillamook at 12:30 pm. You can transfer to a #3 bus that goes north to Cannon Beach, departing 1:30 pm, arriving 2:53 pm. From there you can catch a Sunset Empire (Clatsop County http://www.ridethebus.org/ ) #20 bus, departing 3:26 pm and arriving in Seaside at 4:06 pm. Then the 101 Express leaves at 4:13 pm, arriving downtown Astoria at 4:54 pm.

For this option, you'd end up spending $14.75 one way to get to Astoria 3 hours earlier than the Amtrak bus, which will take 6 1/2 hours (plus 3 transfers of unloading/loading bikes and baggage) in total time spent in transit (including stop-overs), vs the 2 hours or so on the Amtrak bus. I guess the bottom line is: is getting into Astoria 3 hours earlier worth it?