Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Site Admin

Default Need Advice: Touring San Juan Islands

I'm planning on taking 5 or 6 days to bike the San Juan Islands.

Does anyone know of a book or a website that can give me a trip plan. I'm looking for the best routes to take so I can tour the islands on the best roads. I plan to take the train to Seattle then take a ferry to the first Island.

THanks
Old 06-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Site Admin

Touring the Islands by Peter Powars and Renee Travis

Could have given it to your wife last night when she picked up the handlebars, if I'd known
Old 06-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Site Admin

I think I read somewhere that the ferry from Seattle to Friday Harbor isn't running this year. Something to check out. You might need to take Amtrak to Mt. Vernon and ride the 21 miles from there to the Anacortes ferry terminal.

I road the San Juans with friends last September and had a lot of fun. We took a couple cars up to carry all the gear, and rented a house on Orcas Island near the ferry terminal. It was easy to hop over to other islands (with just our bikes) for day rides and then return to our 'base camp' for the evening. If you do the base-camp plan, be sure to get a place reasonably close to the ferry. Beware, Orcas island in particular is pretty hilly! Make sure you have low-low gears if your towing around camping equipment.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:44 AM
Site Admin

Default san juans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
I think I read somewhere that the ferry from Seattle to Friday Harbor isn't running this year.
i heard that, too. But the Victoria Clipper (that's the Seattle-Friday Harbor-Victoria passenger ferry) still goes to Victoria, so you could take that and ride north to Sydney (about 25 miles, a pleasant ride) and catch the ferry to Anacortes, which stops (i think) at Friday Harbor. You'll need a passport.

i would very highly recommend the San Juan County Park campground on the west side of San Juan island - absolutely beautiful view of the Olympic Mts., Vancouver Isle, and the Straights of Juan de Fuca. No services very nearby so come provisioned.

There's also a pretty useful map - "san juan islands recreation finder map & guide" - by Green Pacific Rec & Travel Maps - it shows roads, campgrounds, etc.

i really liked riding around San Juan isle a lot, & Orcas was good too but not the east end near the Moran State Park: narrow road with too much traffic for pleasant riding.

Finally, need a good breakfast in Friday Harbor? Try the unlikely & unpretentious Paradise Bowling Alley, very tasty victuals!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up Had a great trip

So I did it and it was great. I ended up renting a car and driving to Mount Vernon. I posted my trip including links to mapmyride on yahoo travel.

Check it out here

Thanks Lynn for letting me borrow the "Touring the San Juans" book. It was a huge help in deciding which routes to take.

If you have some extra time this summer I highly recommend the trip. For a 5 day vacation on the San Juan Islands it was very inexpensive since I camped and went by bike.