Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Site Admin

Default Boring to Welches

I'm camping with some friends near Welches this coming weekend, and was hoping to ride out and meet up with them. I figure the Springwater Corridor Trail can get me out as far as Boring. Any suggestions on good roads from there on out?

Here's what I was thinking:

Richey Road south out of Boring.
Kelso Rd. east to Bluff Rd.
Bluff Rd. south to Sandy.
Ten Eyck Rd. north out of Sandy.
Marmot Rd. east to E. Barlow Trail Rd.
Continue east on E. Barlow Trail Rd. to E. Lolo Pass Rd.
E. Lolo Pass Rd. south to Welches.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I think this is all paved, but if you have experience and can either confirm or suggest alternate routes, that would be great! Thanks.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up

Ron, that's what I'd do -- Marmot Rd. is a great ride, really quiet when I've been on it - but climbing required, probably quite a bit more than hwy 26. Still, very well worth it.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Site Admin

edit that - I'd cross the Sandy river at the Dodge Park Bridge, and avoid Sandy altogether.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikieboy View Post
edit that - I'd cross the Sandy river at the Dodge Park Bridge, and avoid Sandy altogether.
I was hoping Marmot Rd. would be a good ride. Thanks for confirming that. At your suggestion I'll cut over to Orient Dr./Bluff Rd. further north and ride the Dodge Park Bridge. But if I remember correctly you just added a 'fun' climb to the route.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Site Admin

Default extra climbing

Ron, i think you're right about that. So I decided to be wonky & check Bikely.com to see what their elevation profiler said - here's what i got:

- Sandy River bridge at Dodge Park to Shipley Rd. (it's paved), then to Marmot intersection : 4.7 miles, 1298 feet of elevation gain

- Sandy River bridge on north side of the town of Sandy, to marmot rd., to intersection with Shipley Rd. : 1.8 miles, 748 feet of elevation gain

hmm, an extra 500 feet... might be worth sticking with your original plan...my memory of the climb out of Dodge park is hazy; i love it when my memory erases unpleasant experiences...
Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikieboy View Post
- Sandy River bridge at Dodge Park to Shipley Rd. (it's paved), then to Marmot intersection : 4.7 miles, 1298 feet of elevation gain

- Sandy River bridge on north side of the town of Sandy, to marmot rd., to intersection with Shipley Rd. : 1.8 miles, 748 feet of elevation gain
Well, I took the 'hilly' route and it turned out great. Always liked the Dodge Park bridge and the giant Bull Run water pipes crossing the river there. Yes, it's a climb (particularly Shipley Rd. off of Ten Eyck), but Shipley road is a great riding road, narrow with very little traffic and through a beautiful forest. Almost can't believe I made it to Welches and beyond (south) without riding on US26 for more than a few hundred feet. Marmot Rd. has some very nice mountain vistas off the ridge it follows high above US26.

If anyone else follows this route, be sure to stop at the ZigZag store at the corner of US26 and Lolo Pass Rd. They have excellent homemade pies, cobbler, etc... and you can get it a la mode (or so I'm told...)
Old 07-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Site Admin

Thumbs up

Ron, thanx for the report - the Marmot Rd. is one of the best close-to-Portland rides, IMO.

Really love this sign from along the road up on the ridge...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg homemade road sign.jpg (94.8 KB, 14 views)