Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Question U-Lock Question - Lost Keys

Got this from a new member who wasn't able to post yet...

Quote:
Hi K'Tesh.

My name is Jonpaul, and I've lost my keys, which means my bike is being held hostage on my porch by my very own u-lock! Nuts!

I wasn't sure if I should post anything in the forums (my account doesn't have the permission yet anyway) but I thought the topic of removing a lock might be bad juju.

I've included some pics, can you think of any way I can get the lock removed? Should I rent a piece of hardware from a home depot or something? I've been riding the bus for the past week and it's starting to affect my mood! It's so nice outside!

Here's a pic so you can get an idea. I don't think I can fit a jack in there, it's a tight fit.

Thanks man, I appreciate any help you can give.
In thinking about this, I'm not certain I'd like to advise anybody on how to personally defeat a U-Lock as they are the method that I myself use to protect my bikes (the forums could be too public).

So, my proposal would be first get the replacement lock, then contact your local police/fire department (via the Non-Emergency phone number) and ask them to assist. This way you could prove that you are the rightful owner with a legitimate need to defeat the lock. That, and they probably have the equipment you need, or could point you in the right direction.

Once your bike is freed, I'd make sure that you keep the spare keys (included with the new lock) in safe locations. Perhaps one hidden in the garage, one by your battery charger (presuming you have a rechargeable light). I personally keep my spares in my 2nd bedroom (mass storage area) on the bike stand, and now I'm going to take one to work, just in case.

Hope this Helps!

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

BTW I feel this topic would qualify for inclusion in the "Perpetually Relevent Threads... " thread. So, I added it.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 06-30-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Site Admin

As with any other lock trouble: Call a locksmith.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Site Admin

In trying to understand how thieves do it, people have discussed U-lock disabling ad nauseum. Easy to get info with a little web searching. Big bolt cutters would probably do the job. Hand held grinders would do it, or, try find another jack that will fit. Unless it's a super high quality U-lock, from what I've read, it's probably not going to be that hard to bust it. Give it try.

When you shop for a new lock, know that some manufacturers let you register your lock so if you lose the keys, you can get a replacement.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Site Admin

There are simple methods to defeat these locks. But I don't know this person. I don't know if this is his lock, or his bike. A hacksaw is about the cheapest and most available option anyway. Sure it takes some elbow grease and time, but it'll do the job and no one will care as long as it's your lock and your bike anyway. But no one is going to steal a u-locked bike with a hacksaw, it would take too long.

So, hacksaw. With a fine-tooth steel specific blade. It will cut your u-lock, and people will stop and ask questions while you're hacking. But that's okay if it's your bike.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default Images are now uploaded...

In his original email, the images that were mentioned were not included, and I've been in contact with him via email.

I've edited in the images now, and upon seeing them, I've got a new idea...

It apears that the lock is not going through any part of the actual frame, only the fenders and the rear wheel. Removing the wheel and the fenders may gain him some room to play with.

I'd also mention that if your lock does not hold a portion of the frame, all you might find is the wheel when you come back (which would suck big time).

Keep us posted Jonpaul, I'd like to know how you get your bike finally free.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 06-30-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Site Admin

Is it a kryptonite lock? if so is it registered? if so contact them and the will send you a new set of keys. If not then get a big set of bolt cutters like the ones I saw a seciruty guard use at the homemade bike show, on a video posted here, to cut it.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:19 AM
Site Admin

Default A Dremel

A Dremel with a diamond cutting disk would also work. I did that with a smaller lock. Took a short amount of time to cut.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb When all else fails...

Check the pockets of your winter riding gear...

Got a PM from Jonpaul today, and he told me that he found his keys in his jacket that he wore back when it was raining. He also said that he was able to go out riding during the weekend, so all's well.

Thanks to all for the suggestions
K'Tesh