Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Site Admin

Default Riding to Seaside

Heading to Seaside Saturday. I'm taking hwy 30 and then heading up the Scapoose-Vernonia Highway, then to Mist to Olney and then to Seaside. Is it paved the entire route? I really hope so.

Thanks
DR
Old 06-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Site Admin

How are you getting from Olney to Seaside?

I think 202 is paved the whole way, but I don't know about any of the cut over roads. Anything in yellow on google maps should be paved, but it will take you almost to Astoria.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosen View Post
Heading to Seaside Saturday. I'm taking hwy 30 and then heading up the Scapoose-Vernonia Highway, then to Mist to Olney and then to Seaside. Is it paved the entire route? I really hope so.

Thanks
DR
Route 202 is paved from Mist to Olney. Say hello to the elk if you see any.

At Olney, you can continue towards Astoria until you get to 5th St./Warrenton-Astoria Highway/Business 101-105 (Google Maps isn't really clear). As an alternative, turn left just before Olney onto Youngs River Road and follow it around the south edge of Youngs Bay. This is very pretty, but there's a couple short sections of torn-up pavement.

Once you get to the Miles Crossing wide-spot-in-the-road, either turn south on Lewis & Clark Road or keep going west to Fort Clatsop Road. Either of these are very scenic, well paved, and keep you off Highway 101. You'll eventually go over the last hill and come out on the north edge of Seaside.

We ride these roads every August for the annual Recumbent Retreat. It's great riding.

Guru to the hot dog vendor:
"Make me one with everything."
Old 06-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Site Admin

What Jeff said. The ride around the south side of Young's Bay (where you turn off near the Olney store) is nice. The road over the hump from Jewell is in the process of de-paving itself through neglect the last time I rode it a couple years back - but that's good, helps keep the traffic down!

here's a map of the ride if you need it - see Detail 4 :

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...x.cfm?c=39890&

enjoy!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:41 AM
Site Admin

I second Jeff's comments about riding the south edge of Youngs Bay. It's very beautiful there. Last Saturday I started in Scappoose and road the Scappoose-Vernonia Hwy to Hwy 47, 202, and then took 103 Fishhawk Hwy. south to Hwy 26. Took Hwy 26 back to Timber Rd., Timber road to Vernonia, 47 to Scappoose-Vernonia Hwy and back to Scappoose. It was a 115 mile loop and the last climb over the Scappoose-Vernonia pass at mile 99 just about killed me. But all the roads were good. The worst road was Hwy 26. Bumpy shoulder with a lot of gravel and debris. It's pretty country, but it's not flat.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Site Admin

I forgot to mention that there is a road called Tucker Creek Cutoff between Youngs River Rd. and Logan Road that is paved, and will save you some miles.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
I second Jeff's comments about riding the south edge of Youngs Bay. It's very beautiful there. Last Saturday I started in Scappoose and road the Scappoose-Vernonia Hwy to Hwy 47, 202, and then took 103 Fishhawk Hwy. south to Hwy 26. Took Hwy 26 back to Timber Rd., Timber road to Vernonia, 47 to Scappoose-Vernonia Hwy and back to Scappoose. It was a 115 mile loop and the last climb over the Scappoose-Vernonia pass at mile 99 just about killed me. But all the roads were good. The worst road was Hwy 26. Bumpy shoulder with a lot of gravel and debris. It's pretty country, but it's not flat.
Hmmm... I need to put that on Bikely. We (the recumbent gang) do a shorter version of that loop near the Labor Day weekend: start in Elsie, over Hwy 26 to Timber Junction (less traffic early), Timber Road and the bike trail to Vernonia, continue following Hwy 47 through Mist and Birkenfeld, and finish by sitting down for pie in Elsie. Yumm!

Guru to the hot dog vendor:
"Make me one with everything."
Old 06-28-2009, 05:55 AM
Site Admin

Default Got there!

The roads are all paved, choppy in parts, but it's OK. We did take the Tucker Creek Road exit (we were told many times it's "Tucker Crick") to Logan. Google Maps had the route we took as 100 miles. A little off, it was 109 miles, lots of uphill at the end. But, the weather couldn't have been better. The route was great because it's so quiet, the fewer cars the better.

A tad sore today but that's what it's all about.

DR
Old 06-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Site Admin

Congratulations. If it was me i knew that I'd be greatful for the miles saved by taking the "Tucker Crick" cutoff. Your soreness was well earned. You have to admit it's a pretty route, even if it does have some pesky hills.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Site Admin

Default Absolutely

I enjoy the longer rides, but 109 is pushing it! Very quiet route, rivals going over Nestucca Pass to Pacific City. I'll probably go that route again.