Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Site Admin

Default Hood River to Troutdale

Has anyone ridden from Hood River to Troutdale? Do/can you ride on I-84, or is there a back road? I'm trying to figure out how to get from The Dalles, to Portland by bike.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Site Admin

Default published map

There is a published map showing the route on the Historic highway and points of interest.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/HCRH/...CRHbikemap.pdf

You can ride I-84 and there are a couple of short sections on the highway but the scenic fun route is on the historic highway. Much less noise.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by t27 View Post
There is a published map showing the route on the Historic highway and points of interest.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/HCRH/...CRHbikemap.pdf

You can ride I-84 and there are a couple of short sections on the highway but the scenic fun route is on the historic highway. Much less noise.
Very cool, Thank you.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Site Admin

I know parts of the Historic Hwy are open to cars-- how bad is it in terms of traffic, sharing the road, etc? I'd like to ride out there this summer, but don't want to fight with traffic on that narrow twisty road with no shoulders.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Site Admin

Default Not bad

The Historic Highway is in a park like setting and most of the speeders stay to the interstate, so the traffic is not too bad. The road is narrow, but driver behavior is pretty good, based on my limited experience. Some nice weekends could be very busy.

BUT, watch the wind. Dalles to Troutdale on a west wind could be hard and Troutdale to The Dalles on an east day could be worse.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up

agree with T27 on the traffic - never seems bad to me. Probably the busiest part is close in to Troutdale.

more info/maps on the route here:
http://www.portlandonline.com/Transp...x.cfm?c=40895&

it's a beautiful ride.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Site Admin

We just rode from Cascade Locks to Troutdale this past weekend (after first riding from Troutdale to Cascade Locks on the Washington side).

Heading west from Cascade Locks is the old highway which is now a paved trail. (Go west on Wa-Na-Pa, stay slightly right at the start of the freeway on ramp - that's the trail entrance) There are steps you must climb, carrying your bike, and a counter intuitive bit where you are directed the wrong way on a freeway off-ramp (not to worry, you are quickly shuttled off to the left on the path again), and so on, until you get to Moffett Creek and realize you've run out of road.

Backtrack a bit, and you'll see a well-worn path to the freeway. Hop the guardrail and ride a bit over a mile on the shoulder, get off at Warrendale, turn left under the freeway, and you are on the old highway again, but this time with cars.

Alternatively, while riding along, you'll see a paved bit leading to a gate on the freeway shoulder. You can hop on the I-84 shoulder there, or ride further to the dirt path mentioned above.

Heading east to Cascade Locks... I've done it. You go to the end of the old highway, then get off at Bonneville, two miles later. And two bridges with narrower shoulders...

Alternatively, you can do an out and back from Troutdale to Multnomah Falls or Horsetail Falls (and they were spectacular this past Sunday) all on the old highway, and avoid the freeway altogether.

The road is narrow. The pavement, once you descend from Crown Point, is outstanding. In some places you should blatantly take the lane, because the sight lines are poor and the road is very narrow - usually the stone bridges in the vicinity of Multnomah Falls, but everyone has to drive slowly there anyway... pedestrians all over the place

Here is the route
Old 05-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Site Admin

Default Troutdale to HoodRiver

How is the climb? Is Crown Point a pretty long climb?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnyder View Post
How is the climb? Is Crown Point a pretty long climb?
From which direction? I don't consider it a difficult climb either way. The road was designed for Model T cars; at no point is the grade more than 4%. Takes me about 25 minutes to climb from Latourell Falls to Crown Point. Longer from Troutdale to Women's Forum (the real summit), but, as I said, it isn't difficult at all.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Site Admin

Default elevation profile

1400 feet of total elevation gain in the 19 miles from Gresham MAX to Multnomah Falls. That's a climb, but not brutal.