Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb How ICE can save your life.

You're riding along one day, and out of the blue, wham, you're lying on the ground unconcious. Was it a car? Tree branch? Storm Drain Grate? Bike Ninja? Well, who knows, but someone comes along and finds you.

Perhaps they have a cell phone, perhaps you do, but to cut to the chase, Emergency Services is summoned.

Maybe you didn't bring your ID, or it was taken (or lost) but your cell is with you. EMS can use that to contact your loved ones, who may provide info on your medical conditions/allergies to meds/etc. But how can they know who to call?

ICE (In Case of Emergency) should be a number of someone that you trust with your life.

Please add it to your contacts. It also makes it a lot easier for me to get you your lost cell phone should I find it.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 05-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
Please add it to your contacts. It also makes it a lot easier for me to get you your lost cell phone should I find it.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Thats a good idea, assuming that your phone still works after your crash and bounce off of the pavement. If you land on your cell phone, it probably won't work.

In addition to the "ICE" contact in your phone, carry a "Road ID." You can buy them, or make them.

A "Road ID" has important information on it, such as: Your name, emergency contacts - mine has 2, can also give what meds. you are allergic to, and maybe your address.

If your unfortunate to be in an accident and your down and out, unable to speak and your phone is busted, the Road ID will help much more than "ICE."

I never leave home without my "Road ID."
Old 05-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Site Admin

Default Emergency Contact in your helmet

I don't have a cell phone (yay!), but my Giro helmet came with a sticky-backed ID/Emergency Contact card that I filled out and stuck inside my helmet.

Nice touch, Giro! But why don't you have reflective materials on your helmets? It's crazy that you have to add your own!