Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
Some dude claiming to be a cop, is just that, a dude claiming to be a cop.
+ 1

My experience in observing motorist/officer interaction is that you can be cooperative while still maintaining your rights. Officers don't mind the polite assertion of rights. It's hostility that leads to bad interactions. And that usually takes two parties. If it's not a stop, just nod, smile and wave good bye.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Wumpus View Post
Yep. Knew a guy who got an at-home visit over a similar situation when the other guy turned in his plate number. Police don't like vigilantes.
+1. If anyone claims that they're a cop, just politely ask to see their identification. Make sure to get their license plate number when they drive off in a huff
Old 04-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Site Admin

Mr. Tony
Maybe you should do what I do to avoid these kinds of issues and that is to stop at stop signs.
You'll likely to get run over from behind from other cyclists who don't stop, but at least you will be obeying the law.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Site Admin

Talking Clinton should have...

more cops to catch the cut thru traffic in the morning and evening.
Yeah this little man was showing just how little he really is, BUT, we are seriously lacking a police presence to curtail the Speed Racers that cut thru to 39th and 50th in the evening and in reverse every morning.
BTW< I never stop at 34th... :P
Old 04-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
So you roll up next to me in your shiny blue BMW with your passenger window rolled down and say, "Hey you rolled through that stop sign at 34th."
This should've ended right here. All you ever have to do anytime a driver rolls up and says something like this is give them the "thumbs down" with your hand, and ride off. Never say a word, just thumbs down. You will always be the one in control of the situation if you do this.

I have a friend with a bit more of a temper who likes to bark out "GO BACK TO BEAVERTON" anytime a driver pulls stuff like this. No offense to any Beaverton folks on here.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Really, what is the obsession that you little men have with bikers? You're like conservatives and gays, you just can't get over it.
What does being conservative or gay have to do at all with your story?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Site Admin

If you don't want to be chastised for not stopping then stop. Sounds to me like you're upset because someone called you on it. If you're that comfortable running the stop then you should be equally comfortable with someone calling you out on it.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracken41 View Post
Sounds to me like you're upset because someone called you on it.
Well, maybe we're reading different threads here, but it sounds to me like he's upset because:

- he proceded reasonably through a stop sign, neither endangering nor inconveniencing anyone else
- was confronted and arguably threatened by someone most likely impersonating a police officer
- then watched that same person violate traffic laws in a way that did potentially endanger someone
Old 04-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock View Post
Well, maybe we're reading different threads here, but it sounds to me like he's upset because:

- he proceded reasonably through a stop sign, neither endangering nor inconveniencing anyone else
- was confronted and arguably threatened by someone most likely impersonating a police officer
- then watched that same person violate traffic laws in a way that did potentially endanger someone
Hmmm, I see your point, but I don't necessarily agree. Though he "proceeded reasonably", he did not proceed legally, which is why he got hassled in the first place.

If the person was a police officer they should have identified themselves as such or kept quiet. If you are going to write me up for a warning or ticket... at least I know you're an officer and not just some random Joe.

I also think more cops ought to drive BMW's, but compensation of our police force is another thread altogether.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Site Admin

Default Thank you Brock

Those are pretty much my points exactly.

If I run a stop sign and get a ticket, I'm not going to complain. Pay to play or so they say.

But that does not mean that I can't also argue that there is a disproportionate amount of venom aimed at bikers for the same infraction that cars do constantly. Nor does that mean I can't point out what I think is disproportionate punishment. SUV runs red light, bike rolls stop sign = same fine. Yes, it is the current state of affairs and I understand that those are the rules out there right now. But I still think it's whacked.

More than anything, I'm just fascinated by the psychological factors involved in the confrontation. I do think the guy was a cop. But I would bet hard money that he would NEVER have confronted a motorist that way, with his not so subtle threat and profanity.

There is some power dynamic at play there. Perhaps it's as simple as the fact that cyclists are less powerful (no 3,000 lb weapon at hand) and as such it's safer to confront them. I think though that it also has to do with the notion that many motorists have that cyclists are not legitimate users of the road in the first place, lawful behavior or not, and so they have a hair trigger regarding our conduct.

Tags
clinton, commute, cops, law