Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Book Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Site Admin

Default WTB - Bicycling the Pacific Coast

I'm looking for the book, "Bicycling the Pacific Coast: A Complete Route Guide, Canada to Mexico," 4th edition, 2005, by Tom Kirkendall and Vicky Spring.

Thanks!

-- vja4Him * Riding 4 Life
Old 02-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Site Admin

vj, i don't know where you can buy this (I'd check Powell's downtown first, you can probably search their website for it) but i checked this out of the Multnomah County library not too long ago so they should have it. You can go online (with a library card) and reserve it, either having it mailed to you ($2) or having it sent to the branch library of your choice (free). Great service!

if you're interested in riding the coast, you should know that the Oregon DOT has a very useful (& free) bike map of the Oregon coast, showing campgrounds, services, elevations, etc.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Site Admin

Default Oregon DOT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikieboy View Post
vj, i don't know where you can buy this (I'd check Powell's downtown first, you can probably search their website for it) but i checked this out of the Multnomah County library not too long ago so they should have it. You can go online (with a library card) and reserve it, either having it mailed to you ($2) or having it sent to the branch library of your choice (free). Great service!

if you're interested in riding the coast, you should know that the Oregon DOT has a very useful (& free) bike map of the Oregon coast, showing campgrounds, services, elevations, etc.
What is the Oregon DOT? I already contacted Powell's Book Store. They don't have the book and the book is out of print. I found some older versions of the book online, but I would like to have the newest, 4th edition, of the book.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vja4Him View Post
What is the Oregon DOT?
Oregon DOT is Oregon Department of Transportation. The link i'm providing is to the Oregon's Department website, look under the heading ODOT Maps, and click on Oregon Coast Bicycle and Ped. map. It's very useful, and gives updated information on camp grounds that offer Hiker/Biker sites and fees. Those fees usually run 3 to 4 dollars a night. And biking the Oregon coast bike route is from north to south.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/BIKEP...T_Bicycle_Maps
Old 02-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Site Admin

Default Oregon Coast Bike Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonee View Post
Oregon DOT is Oregon Department of Transportation. The link i'm providing is to the Oregon's Department website, look under the heading ODOT Maps, and click on Oregon Coast Bicycle and Ped. map. It's very useful, and gives updated information on camp grounds that offer Hiker/Biker sites and fees. Those fees usually run 3 to 4 dollars a night. And biking the Oregon coast bike route is from north to south.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/BIKEP...T_Bicycle_Maps
Thanks for the link! That is very helpful. I downloaded the file, "Oregon Coast Bike Route." I will print out the pages for reference.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonee View Post
And biking the Oregon coast bike route is from north to south.
not required per se, but this a very wise choice unless you enjoy bucking headwinds all day long...

and the Multnomah County library has about 8 copies of the 2005 edition of the book:

http://www.multcolib.org/
Old 03-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vja4Him View Post
Thanks for the link! That is very helpful. I downloaded the file, "Oregon Coast Bike Route." I will print out the pages for reference.
Why waste you own ink for an inferior version? Just send an them an email with a request for the maps and they will send you them in the mail free of charge. I believe there is a link to the email on the ODOT page. Not only that, the Pacific Coast bike map is waterproof. You might as well get the Oregon-wide cycling map as well, at the very least, as they are not available online.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Site Admin

Default Oregon-wide Cycling Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr98664 View Post
Why waste you own ink for an inferior version? Just send an them an email with a request for the maps and they will send you them in the mail free of charge. I believe there is a link to the email on the ODOT page. Not only that, the Pacific Coast bike map is waterproof. You might as well get the Oregon-wide cycling map as well, at the very least, as they are not available online.
Is the Oregon-wide cycling map availabe from ODOT too?