Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Site Admin

Default Route advice PDX to Mcminnville?

Need to go to McMinnville to visit the elders. Thinking of 99 from downtown all the way out. Would like to hear alternatives or bike lane/road shoulder conditions for 99 from PDX to Mac. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Site Admin

Huh, I don't like 99W very much, and the shoulder is bound to be pretty gritty right now.

Consider swinging over to the west side (Hillsboro) and then:

Fern Hill Road
Spring Hill Road
North Valley Road
Kuehne Road

...which puts you just east of Carlton. Abbey Road will take you into Lafayette. Or, you can head west on Carlton-Chehalem road and drop down from the north at your leisure.

Go to maps.google.com and look in the vicinity of Yamhill and Carlton to see the roads I'm talking about.

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 01-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up to the Mac by bike

DJ's got a good route - I often take the MAX to Hillsboro and then ride that route, very pleasant. Here's a map of it as far as Yamhill / Carlton :

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...=39900&a=93918
Old 01-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Site Admin

Default Many Thanks

Thanks very much! So do I get any shoulder on these roads or is it low traffic volume with high speeds. I am comfortable either way, just wondering.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Site Admin

BC, there's no shoulder on the route between Hillsboro and Yamhill 9other than the main highway toward Forest Grove) - but the traffic volumes are really low, especially on weekends, so I've always for it quite pleasant.

I think that there's a shoulder on the main highway from Yamhill south to Mac but can't swear to it. There are likely some back ways to go, as well.