Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-13-2008, 11:17 AM
DogsBody DogsBody is offline
Junior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 18
Question Hello Portland. DogsBody asks for aid!

I am reposting this as a new thread to reflect all that i need to ask:
I'm up in Vancouver, BC.
I am looking for info regarding "things to do/places to visit" when I, and some friends come down there to see your fair City in May/June (still working that out).
-Looks like June would be the best month, eh? Pedalpalooza, eh?
I would love input on Hostels (there's one close to the Amtrak Station yes?); places for a Bike-Culture Nut to visit (Eg. the HUB); and any event advice that would help us plan our trip.
We are also thinking about biking up the Columbia River Gorge:
I've been hearing rumours through "Bike Forums" that the old highway up through the Columbia River Gorge might have an issue with a Bike Terrorist distributing tacks.
Any truth to this?
-Is the old highway the best route?

Last edited by K'Tesh; 11-13-2008 at 12:33 PM. Reason: original thread was moved, retitled..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-13-2008, 11:20 AM
K'Tesh's Avatar
K'Tesh K'Tesh is offline
Super Moderator
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Subject To Change
Posts: 2,742
Red face Sad but true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsBody View Post
IWe are also thinking about biking up the Columbia River Gorge:
I've been hearing rumours through "Bike Forums" that the old highway up through the Columbia River Gorge might have an issue with a Bike Terrorist distributing tacks. Any truth to this?
Regrettably, it is true. However it seems that they only do it once a year (early in the season), and people with magnets take care of that quickly.

BTW Glad to see you're up and running...
K'Tesh
__________________
Riding my bike is MY pursuit of Happiness!!!
beam.to/UFOBike
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Bent Bloke's Avatar
Bent Bloke Bent Bloke is offline
Senior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Outer SE Portland
Posts: 179
Default

In June, we have the Rose Festival. Lots of activities surrounding that. If your trip ends up sliding to early July, there is the world-class Waterfront Blues Festival, my favorite Portland event.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-13-2008, 12:32 PM
K'Tesh's Avatar
K'Tesh K'Tesh is offline
Super Moderator
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Subject To Change
Posts: 2,742
Talking Then there's the WNBR!

Don't forget we also have one of the World's Largest Naked Bike Rides!

Hang out with friends!
K'Tesh
__________________
Riding my bike is MY pursuit of Happiness!!!
beam.to/UFOBike
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-13-2008, 12:36 PM
DogsBody DogsBody is offline
Junior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
Don't forget we also have one of the World's Largest Naked Bike Rides!

Hang out with friends!
K'Tesh
What shall I wear? Oh WHAT shall I wear?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-13-2008, 02:02 PM
bikieboy's Avatar
bikieboy bikieboy is offline
Senior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 224
Arrow

D B, for Gorge bike trip information, take a look here:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...x.cfm?c=36638&

there's also a link to some info the State produces on cycling out the Gorge.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-13-2008, 04:33 PM
lynnef's Avatar
lynnef lynnef is offline
Senior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 611
Default

Don't worry too much about the tacks on the Columbia River Highway. While I do have a friend that rode through a blizzard of them ONCE, I've not yet flatted on that stretch of road, and I ride it several times a year. Not worth worrying about; just carry a spare tube, a patch kit, and a tire pump.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-14-2008, 08:15 AM
DogsBody DogsBody is offline
Junior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
Don't worry too much about the tacks on the Columbia River Highway. While I do have a friend that rode through a blizzard of them ONCE, I've not yet flatted on that stretch of road, and I ride it several times a year. Not worth worrying about; just carry a spare tube, a patch kit, and a tire pump.
As always.
The funny thing is: I bought my present Bike over 4 years ago; and believe it or not I haven't had a flat yet.
*Knocks wood*
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2008, 11:01 AM
DogsBody DogsBody is offline
Junior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikieboy View Post
D B, for Gorge bike trip information, take a look here:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...x.cfm?c=36638&

there's also a link to some info the State produces on cycling out the Gorge.
Thanks bikieboy: That is a big help.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:25 AM.




A production of Pedaltown Media Inc. / BikePortland.org
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.