Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Angry Never, never, never, never again!!!

I will NEVER AGAIN use the Roy Rogers/Scholls route from Sherwood to Beaverton after dark until a bike lane is finished from Barrows Rd to Murray!!! I'll take 99W and Hwy 217 rather than risk a repeat of last nights ride.

On Roy Rogers, the motorists were fine, none of them were rude, or scary... which was amazing concidering that there was a THOUSAND of them passing me. That road is increadibly busy, and at night, the oncoming traffic was a constant annoyance due to their lights (imagine, I'm complaining about too much light). I'm not typically bothered by road noise, but with all the traffic in both directions I couldn't hear myself think (and I normally commute on a freeway shoulder). I'm saddened by this, cause it's really got some nice features, it's just too DAMN BUSY!

Lots of roadwork is being done on Scholls, which is fine, but from Barrows Rd to Murray theres still a gap with no bike lane (and no indication that it's going to be installed anytime soon). I had to hug the fogline after cresting the hill due to the large amount of traffic in both directions (all while being blinded by oncoming traffic). When I checked behind me to see if I could finally take the lane (while rapidly picking up speed on the downhill), I drifted off the pavement (sudden drop) and banged up my left pedal! It hit so hard, I honestly thought that I was going to crash. I went back and looked and I was able to find the scrape marks from my pedal on the pavement (had I had with me a working camera I'd have taken a picture). I highly doubt a mirror would have helped me because of all the oncoming lights.

Until that area gets a full width bike lane, I'm staying off of it, it's TOO DAMNED SCARY!

Be Safe!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 11-10-2008 at 03:49 PM.