Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Site Admin

Question High School Bicycle Club Help

I'm currently a student at Mountain View High School in Vancouver, and I am interested in starting a bicycling club at my school. I'm working with a few students, and we believe that our main purpose would be to promote cycling as a mode of transportation, especially so far as commuting to school is concerned. This would include educating students and advocating for improved facilities, amongst other things. We are also open to the idea of organizing rides and the like.

Do you have any suggestions for names? We're trying to think of something catchy that represents us as a school. An acronym that's either a word or at least pronounceable would be preferred. Again, our school's name is Mountain View, and our mascot is Thunder, often represented by Thor, lightning, etc.

Also, do you have any stories to share about other school clubs, ideas we should emulate, etc.?

Thanks for your input, hopefully we can make some cyclists out of our school yet.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 AM
Site Admin

Default Re: education

The League of American Bicyclists offers great classes on safely operating a bicycle. Perhaps it's just a function of being a crotchety adult, but it seems like most bicycle accidents involve an egregious lack of knowledge on the part of the bicyclist.

I would hope that at some point you could muster some of your classmates together so that a League Certified Instructor could come and give you the Road 1 class.

--jason "been there done that" p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr98664 View Post
I'm currently a student at Mountain View High School in Vancouver, and I am interested in starting a bicycling club at my school. I'm working with a few students, and we believe that our main purpose would be to promote cycling as a mode of transportation, especially so far as commuting to school is concerned. This would include educating students and advocating for improved facilities, amongst other things. We are also open to the idea of organizing rides and the like.

Do you have any suggestions for names? We're trying to think of something catchy that represents us as a school. An acronym that's either a word or at least pronounceable would be preferred. Again, our school's name is Mountain View, and our mascot is Thunder, often represented by Thor, lightning, etc.

Also, do you have any stories to share about other school clubs, ideas we should emulate, etc.?

Thanks for your input, hopefully we can make some cyclists out of our school yet.

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Site Admin

"Mountain View Rolling Thunder"
Old 09-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Site Admin

Default Not too ironic

Hey nice going there JR. I am an MV Thunderite Alum myself. I bet you could get that bike club as an officially recognized club - if they still do that sort of thing. In my day if there was no organized sport, we created a club. So we had Chess Club, Spanish Club, Jeopardy Club - you name it.

You might need a sponsor from the faculty. Not sure who's still around from my day (Doin' fine in '89. I'm sure we're legendary.)

OK somewhere on that campus are some old viking helmets. You guys should ride with horns!

So Wy'East... you carry the same name as my middle school - also in the Evergreen School District!

Thundah! Powah! Thundah! Powah!