Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Site Admin

I was thinking to myself that there's not a lot to get out of this thread right now... but don't lock it! It's a good place for this discussion, even if only two people are discussing anything righ tnow.

I like beelnite's most recent suggestion; it's simple, almost zen-like.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attornatus_Oregonensis View Post
When people like wsbob lose arguments on the merits, this is how they prostrate themselves.
This isn't an "argument" that's "won" or "lost." Such an unfortunate comment.

Frankly, it's this win/loss attitude that's causing us all to lose.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Site Admin

Look, I'm all for people who ride bikes having a steller reputation with the general public. And I know your heart is in the right place. That goes a long way with me. But whatever talents or resources I have to offer in making the streets safe for everyone - and that is my goal - I don't choose to use them primarily in the way you suggest. But I agree that you should if you feel it's important. And I sincerely hope you get the results you seek because, as you say, that would benefit us all.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Site Admin

I don't think anyone here is telling a.O. how to use his talents and resources to make the streets safer. That his business. He can do whatever he wants. Along the same line, no one here should be obliged to make their own efforts towards safer streets using his particular ideology or strategy. Sharing is a great way to get new ideas, but doing so does't mean you have to accept the other person's viewpoint as your own.

Making streets safer for all road users takes a multi-faceted approach. Some people should be cited and prosecuted for their bad behavior on the road. Doing that is one part of managing the common public resource that roads are. There's a whole lot of other road users out there that need help learning how to use the road responsibly, with respect for others on the road with them. They also need help making the adjustment to the situation that more bikes on the street represent; a situation that has been for many decades, almost the exclusive domain of motor vehicles. Different kinds of people are probably needed to do each of these jobs.

Somewhat ironically it seems, to me at least, partly by coincidence, big media ogre ClearChannel is in the midst of a PSA (public service announcement) effort that offers the potential for directly addressing road users perception, attitude and behavior towards each other as they share the road with each together (see the articles on the main page).

Apparently the billboard business is down a little bit now, so ClearChannel is taking the opportunity of covering the un-rented billboards with 'share the road' type messages to the public. If these highly visible message boards can be used to convey an idea to the public that, for example.... 'following traffic regulations makes safer streets'...., something positive has been accomplished.

That kind of broad based information campaign can be phenomenally successful. I was trying to think of examples from the past. Couldn't come up with many off the top of my head, but obviously: 'Only you can prevent forest fires' ... 'Buckle Up!'

No doubt many of you out there have some good ideas.