Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Site Admin

Question Portland to McMinnville

Hi there. I have a couple of questions. First, does anyone know what the closest Max stop is to the start of the Reach the Beach bike route (a friend and I will be doing this ride, or something similar to it, to hit the coast next weekend)? I've searched high and low to figure this out and I know that the ride starts at Scholls Ferry Elementary School but neither trimet.org nor anything out there is able to successfully tell me what that closest Max stop actually is. I swear I read somewhere that it is possible to get out there by Max. We're considering taking the Max out there to start.

My 2nd question - we're doing this coast ride in 2 days. Day 1 we will bike to McMinnville and stay over with friends, Day 2 we will head out to Pacific City. We pretty much have the McMinnville to Pacific City route mapped out but we may want to bike from PDX proper (skipping the whole taking the Max out to Beaverton idea) out to McMinnville if we can find a good route so if anyone has done that ride and has any suggestions, they would be most welcome.

Thanks very much!

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-11-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Site Admin

Hmmmm... I've never heard of Scholls Ferry Elementary School. Did you perhaps mean Scholls Heights Elementary?
Old 08-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Site Admin

oops, yes - Scholls Heights.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Site Admin

Not sure if you've looked on Bikely:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...to-McMinnville

west side route off Hwy47

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...innville160320

IIRC... you could do Max to Hillsboro at the end of the line and bus it to Forest Grove.
Hwy 47 proper is sort of a non-bike friendly route past Gaston. Alternates around Hwy 47 can get a bit hilly.

Last edited by Simple Nature; 08-08-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Site Admin

Thanks - I tried using Bikely yesterday (just became aware of that site) but something was wonky with the mapping - seems okay today though and that is really helpful - thanks so much for the tip.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Site Admin

Default using the MAX to bike to McMinnville

Lero, a really pleasant ride (scenic, low traffic, & no hideous climbs) is from the end of the MAX in Hillsboro to Yamhill, detailed here:

http://www.portlandonline.com/shared...e.cfm?id=93918

From Yamhill, i think the best bet is Hwy 47 south to Carleton & McMinnville - it's got traffic but I believe there's a 3' or so shoulder for most of the way (the State bike map confirms this).
Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Site Admin

Default Springhill is a great road...

Indeed, I've done Spring Hill a few times from/to Gaston and it is a great scenic route.

Thanks for the map to Yamhill!

Looks like there is a Westside Rd. just west and south of Yamhill that takes you all the way to McMinnville.
It doesn't look particularly hilly.
I remember driving N. on 47 from McMinnville not long ago... I didn't see a lot of shoulder there!

Last edited by Simple Nature; 08-12-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Site Admin

Default Portland to McMinville

Just rode to McMinville yesterday. I just took the 99W to a few miles out of Newberg then took the 18 to McMinville. There is a bridge before Sherwood (sidewalk avaliable) and a couple spots with gravel and some rough pavement, otherwise was good wide shoulder the whole way. Only tricky parts are getting into a left lane to stay on 99W right outside of Sherwood and getting into the left lane to turn off 99W to HWY 18. I didn't have any trouble making the turns but that type of situation can always get hairy if you aren't careful.

It's an enjoyable ride, lots of farms and vineyards. Plenty of rest stops and you go by the Air and Space Museum.

Good times.

*edit: If you wanted to cut some miles off you can catch the bus #12 which takes you all the way out to Sherwood. That would make the ride only about 22-25 miles from there to McMinville.

Last edited by Grant; 08-12-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Site Admin

I live a few doors down from Scholls Heights Elementary and there are tons of pleasant routes that can get you to McMinnville from the south-metro Pdx area. Personally, I have found the Reach-the-Beach route one of the most pleasurable. That route gets you to Amity, then its just a short jaunt down to McMinnville on back roads or 18.

I think that the closest tri-met access to Scholls Heights is the intersection of Murray and Scholls Ferry. Take max to the Beaverton Transit Center, then transfer to bus. Scholls Heights is approximately 1/4 mile down scholls from that intersection. You'll pass a shopping center w/ drug store & grocery, coffee and juice shops if you've forgotten anything or need some fortification for the ride.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Site Admin

Default Westside Rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
Looks like there is a Westside Rd. just west and south of Yamhill that takes you all the way to McMinnville.
It doesn't look particularly hilly.
SimNat, my recollection of riding the Westside Rd. is that there's an uncomfortable amount of fast traffic on it south of Carlton --- tho admittedly my recollection may be colored by that one Semi that laid on it's horn & passed me with, oh, a good 6 inches to spare.

Haven't ridden or driven 47 south of Carlton so not sure about the shoulder...