Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking The Bike Lane is OURS!!! (again) YAY!!!!

Pruning at the Robin's Nest on 99W is finished... Now the entire bike lane from the Tigard Viaduct to Sherwood is free of overgrowing vegitation!

ODOT came thru!

Oh, and they patched those cutouts that were in the edge of the lane.

Now you don't have to fear those damned cutouts...

Way to Go ODOT!!!
Thanks for Listening!!!

K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 07-29-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Site Admin

Default Finally

OK, no pics, but today I finally strapped the nippers to my stem and took care of several low-hanging face-slappers along Murray Blvd, just south of Jenkins (on the SB side). Also cut back some creeping blackberries along the MUP that connects Terman and 141st just north of the Millikan Way MAX station. Took longer than I thought--it doesn't look like much when you just duck and weave as you whiz by, but when you stop to inspect...
Old 07-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Thanks For The Support...

Quote:
Originally Posted by biciclero View Post
took care of several low-hanging face-slappers
<snip>
Took longer than I thought--it doesn't look like much when you just duck and weave as you whiz by, but when you stop to inspect...
Thanks for putting some effort out there!

I've often found that when I start some "simple" project, it always larger than what expected. I just grin and bear it, and hope that someone appreciates what was done.

Sorry it took so long to reply... I've been a little busy getting ready for the Fourth.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 07-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Smile Beaverton Gets Into The Act...

Recently I called and complained about the low branches from the trees that were planted on SW Hall during the renovation that they did a few years back...

Before...

They sent someone out and it was pruned...

After...

It's not quite pruned to the level I would have done (I'd have taken them all to 8' not 7'), but it's an improvement. I'll keep on them about it.

I also called about the trees on SW Allen, between SW King and Lombard. Pics to follow.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 07-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Pruning Along The Way...

Was riding home from physical therapy on SW Bonita Rd. in Tigard the other day when I encountered several trees with low branches. I pulled out the shears and the Swiss Army Knife, and got to work...

Besides the people, can you spot any differences in the two images?

She was about 5'4", he was closer to 6'4". I think that the difference should be quite noticeable...

Check out the damaged branch that the tree had (it was the biggest and lowest of the ones hanging over the sidewalk)...

Looked like someone had tried to break it off, too bad they waited for 5+ years before they tried.

Can you imagine how much better off that tree would have been if that branch had been removed when it started to grow over the sidewalk? Hmmmmm

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

(ps, I did move the debris out of the sidewalk, but it was left on barkdust... No grass to be killed)
Old 07-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Site Admin

Contacted COT streets about the glass field on Gaarde and McDonald, as well as the gravel and debris field on the other side of McDonald and Gaarde, and they sent someone out the next day to sweep it up.

All gone! Yay!

Now there's a glass field on Fonner just downhill from 111th, I think it is, that stretches from one side of the road to the other. No bike lanes or shoulders, so everyone has to drive through it. That's today's project!

Last edited by K'Tesh; 10-30-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: fixed broken smilie
Old 07-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Site Admin

Default Remember my inaction action?

Me again - lazy guy who chose to enter the lane on SE 92nd rather than clean up a bunch of broken glass - then make a dramatic showing to drivers as to why I was in their lane...

Well it finally got cleaned up but not by me. Yesterday the construction crew that is working on the East side light rail project cordoned off a portion of the stretch and diverted vehicle traffic into the bike lane.

So of course they swept up the glass because you certainly can't force automobiles to drive over glass!

Sigh... I've never seen this stretch so clean and now I have to share my lane with autos.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Smile SW Lombard, Beaverton OR

Still posting things that I did while the Forums were down...

Things on SW Lombard (yes, my own neighborhood) were getting a bit overgrown, and I finally got tired of it last Friday...

Better? Yes?

Better part of half an hour, and things are much cleaner... Didn't touch the West side (SB) though (this year... yet).

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 07-18-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
Used the Tigard Website Code Enforcement Compliance Inquiry Form‏ to report blackberries and branches overgrowing the bikelane/sidewalks.
K'tesh, you are a role model for us all. Nice work and thanks for the info. I'll bring my camera w/ me on my commutes next week and get all the little bits I notice documented. I'm of a mind that we often just need to get the property owners attention to mind this, and they'll do it without the attention of government. I think I'll print off several copies of the form and a little generic letter stating that I hope that they could attend to this without having to drag the city into it.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Question I've been busy, have you?

I've taken photos, uploaded photos, been in phone and email contact with Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, TriMet, ODOT and Washington County... I've even had people from Sweden contact me (reguarding my Grate Danger photoset on flickr)... I hope some of you were busy while the forums were down too.

Post your actions! Let's all sing to our Victories!

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 07-29-2008 at 12:15 AM.

Tags
community service, diy, public service, self-help, volunteer