Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Newbie Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Site Admin

Default Greetings from Baton Rouge (Louisiana y'all)!

Hello. I'm Phat Lip. I've been riding exclusively for 3 years now and have been a cycling activist for the past two.

Baton Rouge (and pretty much all of LA) is incredibly un-bikefriendly, with very few, substandard bike paths, or even sidewalks. So a few years ago, we started an organization called Baton Rouge Advocates for Safe Streets (BRASS). Success has been slow moving here (as is everything else) but we are gradually making progress.

I joined the forum a few months ago, but today is the first I've posted. Like I said, everything moves slow 'round here (except the motor vehicles).

I'm mostly looking for advice on what works and what doesn't in regards to improving the biking conditions in a city. I know Portland has been bike friendly for quite sometime now, but I'm curious as to how the change came about and how difficult it was.

Our city & state leaders are very stubborn (I'm being nice) when it comes to non-motorized transportation, or even improving our mass transit system. The idea of "if you build it, they will come" is completely lost on them.

I'm hoping that the rising gas prices will force them to explore alternatives to moving traffic. Or I may become the latest transplant to Portland.

See ya'round!

Last edited by PhatLipMagee; 06-01-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Site Admin

Welcome, Phat Lip! Good luck with the long road ahead. The rising gas prices will give you a big assist.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Site Admin

Default Great advice from bikeportland.org (Pucher)

Please examine Pucher's lecture. It's an HOUR AND A HALF LONG. Set aside the time and TAKE NOTES.

It is FULL of information on how to influence public policy (everything from saving children's lives to increasing business due to car free zones).

http://bikeportland.org/2008/05/30/j...-for-everyone/

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by djasonpenney View Post
Please examine Pucher's lecture. It's an HOUR AND A HALF LONG. Set aside the time and TAKE NOTES.

It is FULL of information on how to influence public policy (everything from saving children's lives to increasing business due to car free zones).

http://bikeportland.org/2008/05/30/j...-for-everyone/
Excellent!

Thanks for the link. I'll be passing it on to the group.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Sorry it took me so long to get to this post...

Welcome to Oregon, or at least one of our blogs...

Been a long time since I lived in LA (New Orleans, Belle Chase... I'm a Marine/Navy Brat)... I should check it out again some day. Perhaps after you've worn them down a little into improving riding conditions...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 06-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
Sorry it took me so long to get to this post...

Welcome to Oregon, or at least one of our blogs...

Been a long time since I lived in LA (New Orleans, Belle Chase... I'm a Marine/Navy Brat)... I should check it out again some day. Perhaps after you've worn them down a little into improving riding conditions...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Ok! So, I'll see you sometime around 2025.

Or rather, I'll probably flee to Portland by 2012. You know...after the end of the world (re: Mayan calendar).

As a sign of progress, I should point out that we just got the money to extend our levee trail by a little over a mile. Sweet! Only 99 miles more to go and we can ride to New Orleans. :sigh: