Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Site Admin

Default First Addition LO to downtown

looking for a safe route, willing to go less direct to avoid cars. Suggestions appreciated.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Site Admin

Default i dont know exactly where you are,

but check out either Tryon creek park and the bike path or go the opposite route and go west to I5 and hit lesser road around the bottom of PCC and then up capitol hwy to terwilliger and then barbur. the only other routes i've found involve dicey roads and high traffic. good luck.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetishridr View Post
but check out either Tryon creek park and the bike path or go the opposite route and go west to I5 and hit lesser road around the bottom of PCC and then up capitol hwy to terwilliger and then barbur. the only other routes i've found involve dicey roads and high traffic. good luck.
Thanks, I'll check into them. I wish HWY 43 had a bike lane!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Site Admin

Default i forgot to add this

the other toutes go through residential, but they are STEEEEEP. so come with climbing legs and be ready to work. the other routes arent flat either.
43 would be nice with a bike lane, what time do you ride it? some hwy 's are safe early early morning and late night with TONS of blinkys. there is low traffic at times, but i've felt like frogger on 43
Old 04-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Site Admin

Default you didn't hear it from me, but what if you could walk

A classic problem. I ride to LO from SW a few times a month, and my suggestion is just up Terwilliger to Barbur then then the long easy down grade into town. The top is about at the intersection with Taylors Ferry and the elevation gain makes us wonder if there isn't some other way. Macadam's an SUV bowling alley. .. How about the railroad bridge ? you didn't hear it from me, but what if you could walk your bike over the bridge to Milwaukie and then get to the Springwater Trail? I hope the future trolley extension to LO includes bike path on the right of way.
PS: Use Boones Ferry and Primrose to ease the grade and get out of the traffic on Terwilliger near the top.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain of Fool View Post
I hope the future trolley extension to LO includes bike path on the right of way.
It's in there, but my understanding is that there are some engineering challenges to overcome, namely how to deal with a tunnel on the route. There's not enough room in the tunnel for the bike path and the trolley. Last I heard, they were trying to figure out how to get around the tunnel.

http://www.metro-region.org/index.cf...y.web/id=25043